Keep Track of Children When in Large Crowds

I just read the tip about dressing kids in all one color shirt when in big crowds. I'm a foster mom and mom, and when I take kids to someplace with lots of people or opportunity to get separated, I write my cell phone number in ink on each child's arm so if they get lost, they can have someone call me! Thankfully we've never had to use it, but it's nice to know they have my number if they need it! A piece of paper can easily be misplaced, an arm, hopefully not so much!

Another thing I do if I have numerous young children at a zoo or similar place is I'll take a lightweight rope along. I tie knots in it, spaced about three feet apart. Each child hangs onto a knot (alternating a child on the right, then the left, so they don't trip on each other!). Nice way to keep everyone together and keep the troops moving!

By bzladi from Storm Lake, IA

I really like the idea of writing the cell number on their arm.

August 27, 2009 Flag

When my girls were small, I use to put big colorful ponytail holders and barrettes in their hair so I could see them in a crowd, if we were going somewhere like an amusement park or zoo.

By Karen from Bolivar, TN

We bought bright colored t-shirts at Michael's (one for each member of the family - all the same color) and ironed on our last name in BIG LETTERS across the front of each t-shirt.

It was kind of embarrassing at first because people kept coming up to us and saying "Hi Smith family!" but then after awhile we found it amusing. (12/09/2008)

By JoBear

When we go any place that has large moving crowds such as Six Flags, I take pictures of everyone in my group with my camera phone, just in case I need a recent picture, and they can be sent in a text or email in need be. (12/09/2008)

By LarryD

Hi. Question for any of the ladies. My daughter is 2 and she is a ball of energy. As bad as the squirrel on energy drinks off of " Over the hedge". How on earth do I keep her in one place. Today she took off on me and it scared the living daylights out of me.

She doesn't get that she has to stay with me and "NO" doesn't register at all. I live in the country besides a busy road (big mine and logging trucks) all day. Any help, ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm seriously thinking of a safety harness. (12/09/2008)

By Alice

To the lady that was thinking of the harness, I say go for it. It is better
to have your child in control and safe. One friend of mine had not come prepared to the Big E and bought a length of Macrame cord. They can get lost so easily. I know my son could disappear in a flash. Nothing could make him understand. For some it may not end with childhood.

My father would disappear for hours in a group and come back totally unaware that I was worrying. He always told me he knew where he was and that he was ok. He told me that I would have heard if he wasn't ok. Childhood goes by so fast that we have to take all measures to keep them safe. (12/09/2008)

By SunshineRose

Children watching a show at a park.
Keeping Children Safe in Crowds
Parenting General Parenting AdviceAugust 27, 2009
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Potted Rosemary plant.
Keeping Track of Plant Information
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online
sliding patio door
Cleaning a Sliding Door Track