ShoppingFrugal Living

Stash "Get One Free" Grocery Items for a Rainy Day

We are all stretching our dollars as far as they can go, and I think most of us try to do our grocery shopping weekly. For some of us even that is a struggle. However, if you can buy one thing that you need, and get it "buy one, get one free", put the free one in the back of the closet and pretend you did not get it.

If you can manage to do that for one or two items each time you go to the store, you will be amazed at the groceries you can have put back for the holidays, a rainy day, or for a day you simply have nothing in the cupboard and no money until tomorrow. Be sure not to "borrow" from these items just because you don't want to go to the store.

Source: I saw my mother shop in this manner when I was little and she was stretching that dollar as far as she could.

By clynnaltemus from Inglis, FL

This is called stockpiling and a great idea for everyone, especially those with little disposable income. I stockpile as much as I can-especially right before autumn because higher utility bills during winter can kill a grocery budget. I try to have at least 3 full paper bags extra of canned goods, dried beans (in the fridge) bags of rice (also stored in fridge or freezer), etc., before the snow starts to fly.