Cat Has Stopped Eating

I have a "very" thin cat. She is approximately 13 years old. She won't eat anything, but pate cat food. The vet says he can't find anything wrong with her.

Does anyone out there have any advice on what I can get her to eat that will put some weight on her? She looks terrible. Her coat is all matted so I have to keep trimming it and I have to give her hairball stuff all the time, because she gets constipated.

She is hungry all the time, but can only eat a small amount at one feeding, or she throws up. So I feed her every half hour during the day. I took her to 2 different vets and they both said they couldn't find any problems, no tooth troubles, no digestive problems, and no signs of diabetes or any other diseases. She is really thin and throws up a lot. Any suggestions as to what her problem might be would also be appreciated. Thanks guys.

By catastrofy from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I am sorry to tell you but I think the vets you've seen are nuts and hope they haven't charged you a small fortune! My first cat as an adult, Niki, displayed the same behaviors and symptoms and she ended up passing away from liver disease when she was 14 :-(

In hind sight I was in denial and relying on the vet saying he didn't see anything wrong :-( Is your baby's poopy a very small amount compared to a month or more ago? Does her poopy look like a not normal color, sort of light and is sort of dried out?

It was finally a day before I had to send her to heaven that she came up to me crying and the inside of her ears were an orange color. I picked her up and looked inside her mouth and it was orange colored too :-( I knew then that there was no hope so I took her to bed with me, as usual, and cuddled her until the next morning when I took her to the vet who should have known originally this was what was happening and had to have him put her out of her pain :-(

Another baby who was a rescue, Kitten, was only about three years old and had similar symptoms but when she threw up it was black :-( Turns out that she had cancer and the black was blood bile :-(

So sorry if I am giving you a possible sad review for your baby but it's best if you're prepared :-( Perhaps seek one more opinion knowing this information?

Hello,

Please take your baby to the Vet asap! I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Please have all the lab work done, this sounds like a thyroid problem to me but please go the the Vet. Good luck

Hi. Please take your cat to another vet ASAP. Time is not on your cat's side. She probably has fatty liver disease which is 75% curable if treated early and aggressively. You need to get a blood panel ran, and your cat needs to be force fed either by feeding tube or syringe several times a day. Vomiting is normal for cats with fatty liver disease. I lost my 3 year old cat to this disease last October and am still missing him. My vet wasn't familiar with this disease and didn't run a blood panel right away when I first took him in, and when they finally diagnosed him it was too late to save him. If I had taken him to a vet who was familiar with fatty liver he would be here today, so get your cat to another vet today.

My elderly cat was like yours.The vet told me to put his wet food in the microwave very briefly so it was warm but not too hot for him to eat.She said it helps as the cat may not be able to smell the food otherwise.Make sure it is at a safe temperature.The vet also reminded me that if a cat were in the wild it would hunt for its food which would not be cold.

February 22, 2010 Flag

My 9 year old cat has stopped eating. The vet says he sees nothing wrong with her. She will drink some water, but nothing else. Does anyone have a good liquid diet suggestion that I can give her? And I think her problem is constipation and/or a hairball. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remedy the constipation and get rid of the hairball?

By Catastrofy from Winnipeg, Canada

Answers:

Cat Has Stopped Eating

Have you tried hairball medicine from the pet store?? It used to work wonders for my cat, although she never stopped eating. But it definitely helped bring the hairballs up. (10/18/2009)

By suzanne831

Cat Has Stopped Eating

A cat who won't eat and a vet who throws up his hands and says he can't find anything wrong? You need another vet, and fast, before your kitty gets worse. (10/20/2009)

By chretienne

Cat Has Stopped Eating

My girl did that last summer. I'd been told once when she had pneumonia that the reason she wasn't eating was that she couldn't smell her food with her nose all stuffed up. She is 13 now. Last year when she was 12, she stopped eating a couple days and I got really worried. So I figured that since she's old she probably couldn't smell her food as well as she could when younger.

I went and bought tuna in a can and salmon when wet catfood wouldn't work. I then changed the rule she'd had all her life and let her eat people food, namely chicken, we were eating. I mean I don't care about the rules if she's going to waste away. She ate the tuna and salmon and loves chicken.

Then, I also had to change her food to a more expensive better tasting food than the cheap kind. Hey, they're old and if you love them you can spend a few more bucks to keep them alive. Try all these things. It could also be her teeth which hurt them when they're old so she may need to eat wet food from now on. This is Toonces my darling girl. (10/20/2009)

By Lily 59

RE: Cat Has Stopped Eating

Cat Has Stopped Eating

Try to see if you can get her to eat something like Lily 59 suggests, but I would also take her to another vet like others suggested. Something not right with a vet saying he sees nothing wrong with her even though all she's doing is drinking is water. Please run, don't walk, to another vet even if she does eat a bite or two. (10/20/2009)

By Deeli

Cat Has Stopped Eating

Has the vet (or you) examined her teeth thoroughly? She might have an abscessed tooth or something wrong with her teeth. She could also have her anal sac (?, I think that is what it is called) impacted which the vet has to "unplug" for lack of a better word. Has kidney problems or a urinary tract infection been suggested or spoken of? Does she meow while going to litter box? I totally agree with the other posts. Go to another vet fast. The one who finds nothing wrong must have something wrong with him. (10/20/2009)

By Indianone

Cat Has Stopped Eating

Buy a jar of baby food with meat in it to see if she will eat that. As for the hair ball meds, rub it on her paws, she will have to lick them to get it off. (10/21/2009)

By Andzie

Cat Has Stopped Eating

I just had another thought. Has she been checked for worms? I also don't understand how x-rays could be so expensive. I had to have a cat x-rayed about six years ago and it was only $75.00 and that vet's office was more expensive than most. Maybe you could get in contact with your local ASPCA and ask for suggestions from them, because they have seen it all. (10/21/2009)

By Deeli

Pets CatsFebruary 22, 2010
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
🎉
🎄