AdviceHealth & Beauty

Goat's Milk for Children with Autism

I need feedback on what goat's milk tastes like. I have seen that it benefits children on the autistic spectrum who can't have any other kind of milk. Is it much different than normal milk? Do any of your kids enjoy this type of milk?

Thank you for any feedback!

By Robin F. from TN

My dad raised registered Nubian goats in IL, and brought two female goats, which had been bred, to CA, and gave one to my sister for her children who were in 4H, and one to us in San Diego County. My sister's goat gave the worst tasting milk, no matter what she fed or didn't feed it. Our goat gave the best tasting milk I ever tasted, and my taster is very picky!

My kids who brought their friends home with them after school offered them milk, and asked them how they liked it. They all loved it. Then they were told it was goat's milk. They were so surprised, as they had heard stories of goat's milk tasting bad. What we learned was, that if you were going to buy a goat to milk, you had to go to the farm and insist on tasting the milk from the very goat you were to buy. I mean watch them milk it and taste it on the spot. I have tasted the canned goat milk they sell at the grocery stores, and I can not stand the taste of it.

If you do not plan to buy a goat, your second best choice would be to find someone from whom you could buy it directly, and do some taste testing yourself, and go from there. It really is a healthy milk, from what I've read. The bottom line is, each goat's milk can taste different. Your child will have to give you input on what he likes, also. Good luck in finding some good fresh goat milk!

Goat's milk is great for those who are lactose intolerant. It tastes a little creamier than regular whole milk so makes great rice pudding, biscuits or buns tht use milk, etc.

I bought goat milk at the grocery store and thought it tasted very good.

My sister has goats and we often drink their milk when we visit. It is much the same as cow's milk. Perhaps a mildly different flavor. You can use it the same ways you would cow's milk. I don't have any experience with it's use in helping children with autism. But I would imagine that it doesn't have as much chemicals and additives in it that commercial cow's milk does. And that the goats generally aren't given as much in the way of antibiotics and hormones. Good luck with the goat's milk and with your child.

I was raised on goats milk and as children we loved it as much as cows milk, hardly noticing a difference. We were told back then that the taste had a lot to do with the proximity of the billy goat, the further away he was the better the milk would taste, something to do with hormones I guess. Anyway, for that reason we didn't have one on the property.

You can try the store bought type, or advertise in your local paper, or in your state's department of Agriculture's paper. Most states have a flyer put out monthly by the Dept of Ag, you can usually find it online. This is where farmers sell their things, and you may have better luck finding fresh goats milk there.

Best of luck to you and your child. God Bless you.