Condensation On Windows

Why would my new double pane windows sweat only along the bottom two inches?

By Judi from ME

Too much moisture in the house. I also have double pane windows that do the same thing. The moisture is on the glass when I wake in the morning. Mostly when the temp is low outside and inside is low. I have to wipe the windows with a paper towel several times in the morn.

Increasing the heat in the house helps eliminate the moisture. When the windows are dry I spray some wax on those areas that get wet to protect the wood. Home repairs experts recommend opening the windows twice a day to let the moisture escape. I tried putting plastic over the inside windows and shrinking the plastic to a nice tight fit but the moisture was there the next morning. Fox from Maine

Humidity will still collect on the window glass which is cooler than the air. At least you know your air isn't overly dry as it is in many homes during the winter. Don't let it get too bad though because you can grow mildew.

February 14, 2010 Flag

In our new home we have a large, older window in the front room that gets so much condensation on it that it runs down and soaks the windowsill. It seems to have caused mildew in the window glazing/caulking.

How can I prevent or minimize the condensation problem? How can I clean the caulking?

By momof4Ks from Marshfield, MO

Answers:

Condensation On Windows

Give everything a good bleach wash then apply clear plastic on the inside so the warm inside air doesn't touch the cold glass. There are inexpensive kits for this. (11/27/2009)

By takelababy

Condensation On Windows

I had this problem in one house we lived in and we got a dehumidifier and turned it on a low setting. A little moisture in the house is OK, but when it builds up it is not. Then one house we had the heating and air conditioner was super and took care of it. It also depends where you live. Humid climates tend to do this year around. Hubby was in military so we adapted to almost every climate. Hope this helps. (11/28/2009)

By rasta

Condensation On Windows

A ceiling fan or table fan, on low, in that room could help circulate the moisture throughout the house and dry the window at the same time. But, first, do something about the mold, for health-sake. (11/29/2009)

By mom of towers

Condensation On Windows

Do you perhaps have a humidifier on your furnace that's turned up too high? (11/30/2009)

By Beth

November 24, 2009 Flag

When the outside temperature gets cold enough condensation forms on the (inside of) windows. The windows will eventually "dry" naturally. My question is, is it best to wipe the windows off? And is doing this better for my "indoor" health?

Ba Rok

Answers:

Condensation On Windows

The condensation is collecting on the inside of the windows because of moisture in the house. Opening the windows for a few minutes a day would help. Or to help eliminate the moisture use an outside fan when taking a shower and try to limit doing things that increase moisture in the house. Raising the temperature also helps. It happens in my house as well. I wipe the moisture off the windows every morning. It is not a threat to your health. (12/20/2006)

By foxrun41

Condensation On Windows

It is a good idea to either wipe the windows or open them to allow the house to vent. Build up of moisture can lead to mold problems which can have a negative impact on your health. (04/25/2007)

By Robert

Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsFebruary 14, 2010
Car Window With Condensation
Removing Condensation from Car Windows
Condensation in Mobile Home
Condensation in Mobile Home
Ceiling
Condensation Buildup on a Ceiling
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
🎉
🎄