Browsing: Getting Rid of Gnats

Homemade Gnat Trap

This works. Forget dawn dish soap and whatever mixed with it, forget bug spray.

Here it is.

Take one of those little pre-made meals in a cup like, chicken ala king, chili, etc... with the 4 little holes in the plastic top. Eat the contents then rinse clean, including the lid. Inside the empty container, place some skins from an apple or cantaloupe. Fill it and put the plastic lid back on. Wait a few days or more and then tape the holes shut.

Suggestion: don't open the lid for anything. They all fly out. I found that out. Believe me, they're in there.

No more gnats. Works for me like a charm. Just started doing this over the weekend and I can't believe the difference in just a few days.

With all the tomatoes, cucumbers and other produce I have in the house, it's a miracle. "Try it, you'll like it".

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Penny

I wonder if your idea would work with the Thrips that attack my pears in the spring? Every year for the last three years these little pests have been laying their eggs in the blossom so that when the maggots appear they bore into the fruitlets and destoy nearly all my crop.

Well I shall certaily try this with some pear peel and suspend several cups in the tree this coming spring.

Thanks for a great idea.

I do the same as you, except I use a clear plastic cup, then rubberband a piece of saran wrap over the top. Also, don't poke holes near the edge of the cup and not too close together.

Since I posted this, I've just put in a little juice from cantelope or watermelon and they drown in it very nicely. Don't need alot of juice. Every so often I pick it up and swish it a little and get the gnats that are on the sides. Once in the juice, they don't get out.

I accidently discovered a great gnat trap- I put my son down for his nap, and left his nearly empty juice cup (cheapo dollar store kind) on the end table. When my son woke up I went in search of the cup and found that the liquid was filled with lumpy little things- as I dumped it out I realized that there were literally over a hundred gnats inside. The cup came in a pack of six for $1 and is a disposable clear container. I will use them for gnat collectors when the baby is too big for sippys.

Hi, was just wondering. Aren't you just drawing in more Gnats(fruit flies) with the fruit and juice in the cup? I would think that would just create more of them since they arrive for the produce in the first place. My son has an Iguana hatchling for a month now that is kept in a very clean 55 gallon tank but since getting fruit flies from a rotten banana (I brought home one on the bunch way too ripe) they are now all over the place and go for the Iguana'a food so we have been trying to see what we can do to get rid of them. Our apt is not swarming but they are around. I just don't want one in my coffee though that would be one less lol

Thanks for the tip!!

Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Home and Garden Pest Control GnatsSeptember 9, 2006
Dryer Lint Trap
Cleaning the Dryer Lint Trap
baby skunk and wildflowers
Removing a Skunk from a Live Trap
Leprechaun Trap
Leprechaun Trap Cake
Mouse Trap With Cheese
Best Bait for a Mouse Trap
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 8:48:56 AM on 10.0.1.157 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.