Conditioning Curly Hair Before Straightening

My hair is naturally very curly. When I dry it or straighten it, it doesn't look smooth it's totally frizzy! So is conditioner a good idea before straightening my hair? Also the ends are awful and damaged.

Haya from Egypt

A conditioner is a good idea; go for one with "smoothing" in the name. But what's even more important when you straighten -- I assume you're using a flatiron -- is a heat protectant. I use Chi 44 Iron Guard and love it.

Have you thought of a nice shortish cut ? Myself, I would kill to be in your shoes with curly hair, and a nice "Pixie " cut. Then your lovely hair would need no care, except conditioner and a good brush or comb. LOL think I am dating my self there with the "pixie" cut. Rose

Yes, you should use conditioner. My hair was that same way you may also like to try a shine serum. Garner frutics makes a good one called sleek and shine and it's only like $2.00-3.00 at wallmart! lol:)

I have long dark brown , thick, curly hair. My hair is about 2 inches from my bottom. I wash my hair then condition. Take a towel and wrap my hair up for about 4 minutes then go to bed and let it air dry the rest of the way. If you start rubbing your hair with the towel it will cause more frizzes. When I wake up in teh morning I use a "chi" serum and flat iron my hair with the "chi " iron. I just bought a new one- my old one was over 12 y/o. It was still in working condition- but I seen on ebay that they have pink- so i got it- i paid almost $100. They will last you many years. You do not want to flat Iron your hair every day. I do mine every 3 days. WHen i go to bed during those nights of not wasing my hair- i wrap put on a "do" rag. Then When i get up i just go over it really fast with my iron again- but do not ad more serum during those times- your hair will be very greasy. Then the third night i wash my hair and start all over again the next monrning. I think that i also get my hair cut every 10 weeks. I know that every one says 6 weeks- but with me only washing and flat ironing my hair twive a week my hair doesnt get damaged that much. Good luck.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips StylingJanuary 9, 2008
Curlers in brunette hair for a perm.
How To Do A Perm At Home
Girl with red curly hair.
Managing Curly Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink