Chickenpox Booster Vaccination

We got a note a couple of weeks ago from school warning us that there were several reported cases of chickenpox. Sure enough, 10 days later, my First grader broke out in red spots. Our doctor told us that the new chickenpox vaccine was proven to need a booster at the 5 year checkup. This was decided in October, 2006 so a lot of kids haven't gotten the booster yet. There is a wave of chickenpox right now because of this.

I have the dubious pleasure of having two kids home, one bored and itchy. I hope the vaccine will prevent my 4 year old from getting it but that is probably a long shot. He is at the doctor's right now, getting the booster vaccine, just in case. So this is just a heads up to parents with kids over 5 to make sure they get the new immunization.

If anyone has any tips for caring for kids with chickenpox, I'd love some input.

Jess

My youngest is now 19 but I still remember being at home with all 3 kids. Try to keep them cool, Aveeno baths seems to help with the itching and calamine lotion also helped. Other than that, it just takes time. Good luck!

I can still remember when I had the chickenpox years and years ago (about 50 years to be exact). My mom made it fun by bringing a chaise lounge into the living room, covered with a towel or blanket, and I got to lay on it with a bottle of calamine lotion to dab my itchy pox! It wasn't pleasant to go through, but I still remember the fun experience of getting to be special for a few days. Good luck!