How Can You Tell if a Pot Is Cast Iron

How can you tell if a pot is cast iron?

Ashley from TX

It will be heavy. The texture will be "pebblely" or "ripplely". There will usually be a number on the bottom or handle. If it says"Griswold Erie PA" it's cast iron. Griswold cast iron is a real collector's item in some parts of the country. I've heard of pieces selling for as much as $12,000.00(these tend to be unusual pieces). I'm sure there's a web site for Griswold collectors. If your pot is old the markings on the bottom may be too worn to read. Put some oil on it, it sometimes makes them more prominent.

add a little water and let it air dry. if you see some red rust within a few days or weeks (depending on the humidity level in your area) that will tell you. also it should be HEAVY. my mom dropped a cast iron gas stove top burner grate on her foot once and broke her toe.

i've bought brand new (un-seasoned) cast iron pieces very cheaply. however, the most valuable, use-wise, are the old pre-seasoned hand-me-downs from mom and grandma. if cared for properly, they will last for may more generations to come.

Go to the store and find cast iron pots. Just pick one up and you'll know, they are that heavy. I sure love mine! God bless!

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 11, 2007
Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cleaning a Cast Iron Wood Stove
Seasoning a Cast Iron Pan
Seasoning a Cast Iron Pan
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Removing Rust from Cast Iron
🎄