What is Killing Our Cats?

Anyone have a clue as to why 3 cats have died in the last 2 summer around our spring? Two last year, and one this year. It was very disturbing to discover our cats dead by our spring. Possible snake? We've seen a couple in that area in the last year or so. We have yet to sight a copperhead, but have heard they aren't uncommon for this area. We have a couple dogs and have had dogs for the last 20 years where we live, and they walk around the spring. The spring feeds a pond, if that information helps. Thanks, and I sure hope someone can help us solve this mystery!

Are you sure that no 'neighbors' are poisoning the cats? It isn't unusual for an animal to go to water when they have been poisoned. I am hoping not, but that has been the case in our parish in the past few years.

How old were the cats? Should they have had more good years in them?

My parents moved to the country maybe 12 or 13 years ago. Over the years, several things have killed their cats. We suspect poisons of one kind or another for most of them. One was attacked last year (we assume a dog), but managed to make it back home alive (they had to have it put down). My daughter and I happened to be visiting while it happened. I explained to her that this is why we keep our cats indoors only, it's the only way we can be sure of what they're exposed to. I know that indoor-only isn't always feasible in the country. With the exception of one cat who is kind of nervous and doesn't leave their yard very much, I think their cats haven't lived more than 4 or 5 years. My oldest is 16 years old. I suspect a shorter life is just one of those things with outdoor cats.

I'm truly sorry you've been losing your cats. I hope you can figure out what is taking them, and that you're able to do something to protect your others.

If you are close to the road, they could of gotten ran over. Snakes or some other type of animal could be the reason too. Also, you'd be suprised how many sick people there are out there, who kill animals just to be killing. If cats are wounded or sick, they like to hide out as much as possible if they "know" they are going to pass. I suspect foul play or some other dog or animal is doing this.

Pets CatsJuly 29, 2011
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
mouse peeking out of a hole in a loaf of bread
Getting Rid of Mice Without Killing Them
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel