Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

How can I remove permanent black ink from my finger pad?

By Gail from Houston, TX

By Jess [108]12/03/2011

An answer to the question advised using Mr. Clean Eraser. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS as the warning on the box specifically states. I used it (without checking the warning on the box) and my 5 year has a very bad abrasion as a result.

Editor's Note: As with any advice you find on the internet, please use caution with any substance that is not intended to be used on skin. Always read and follow the manufacturer's guidelines.

By Kirk Franks12/01/2010

My wife just got printer ink on her hands, lots of it. She used Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner, it worked almost instantly.

By Marisa09/02/2010

The following things do not work on skin (so don't bother with them): Rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol-based hand sanitizer, hairspray, toothpaste, Comet, Clearasil face wash, grape jelly (though bonus points for creativity), olive oil, Lysol wipes, Uni-Solv, Clinique face wash, or soap/water. Should I find a perfect solution, I will post again.

By Sunil02/14/2010

Use Clearasil Stayclear Oil-Free Daily Face Wash. My daughter and her friend used this after they painted their face with Mr. Sketch. We used soap, water, rubbing alcohol. Nothing worked but Clearsil worked.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My 2 year old has ink all over her. Her sister left out the black ink gel pen and our dog chewed it up and she attempted to bring it to me and in return got ink all over her. My question is this, does anyone have any suggestions of how to remove this from her skin. I immediately bathed her and all that did was lighten it very little.

Chasity Barber

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try using toothpaste. (11/03/2004)

By Jo

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Two things have worked with my girls: 1) use nail polish remover to get the ink off, and 2) use rubbing alcohol. Hope this helps. (11/03/2004)

By Sheryl

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try using hair spray. Spray it on, Rinse and rub with water. Just be sure to avoid getting it in her eyes. (11/03/2004)

By Tabby from MO

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

If all else fails it will just disappear in time. We continuously grow and shed skin cells so the ink should be shed aong with the cells. (11/03/2004)

By Jo Bodey

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

When I get ink pen stains on my hands at work (from a leaky pen!) I've found that using a drop of those new waterless hand sanitizers on the pen mark works fantasticly! It makes it disappear instantly and wipes right off! (11/05/2004)

By Songbird100

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I use a Diaper wipe. It is gentle too. Any brand will do. It does a great job. Also, you can use the Pumice Orange Hand Cleaner. (12/01/2004)

By Darrell

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

There are tatoo kits for kids now. My daughter had a birthday party and the girls were covered in ink. They had to be clean before they went home. Well we tried tooth paste, peanut butter, and finally hair spray. The hair spray did it. Thank goodness for hairspray. (02/12/2005)

By Joanne

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

When going places where they put X's on your hands I will put chapstick on my hands before. It also helps it come off if you rub the chapstick on a few hours later. (04/01/2005)

By Laura

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My daughter got ink underneath her fingernail and I could not get it clean. I am so glad I found this site. I took an alcohol wipe and wrapped it around an orangwood stick and cleaned her nail with that. It took a couple of times but it cleaned the ink up. All is well that ends well. (04/26/2005)

By Lynn K.

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Just wanted to say thanks to this site! I went to school today and came home with my hand covered in permanent ink--from a friend having a little fun. I have prom in 2 days--and was totally freaking out, but thanks to all of you who said "alcohol" I got it off for the most part, and still have tomorrow to get it off, thanx all! (04/28/2005)

By Tori

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I got off printers ink from my fingers after filling ink cartricages using an old tooth brush and Crest Toothpaste. along with a little patience did wonders. Thanks for that tip! (10/05/2005)

By Johnny

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Use spray on sunscreen. It works. (11/02/2005)

By Ashton

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

We used "Natural Choice" moist wipes from Sam's. It left a very slight faded image of the marker, looks more like an old, old, old bruise than a marker remains, but it worked - amazingly. My two boys wrote all over their faces, near their eyes, on eyelids this was the safest way to clean their faces. (12/06/2005)

By Jay

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

A little bleach worked for me with little to no scrubbing (01/12/2006)

By Jason

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My hands were just covered with black printer ink. Thanks for the advice to use bleach. It worked like a charm! (04/27/2006)

By Tash

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I tried the waterless hand sanitizer, and it worked really well! (04/29/2006)

By Lana

My 2 year old has ink all over her. Her sister left out the black ink gel pen and our dog chewed it up and she attempted to bring it to me and in return got ink all over her.

How do you remove permanent ink on skin?

By Barbett from San Diego

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try an alcohol based antiseptic hand wash. That might remove most of it. You will still probably be left with a faint mark though. But panic not, it will wear away. Permanent markers only stain the top few layers of skin, which are dead. So it will go as the skin goes. It's not like a tattoo where the ink is injected into the living skin cells below the surface. (04/01/2009)

By alloydog

RE: Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My friend had surgery and the area was marked with a permanent marker. She was told to use baby oil to remove it. Goodness, I never knew there were so many ways to remove it. Good to know. (04/04/2009)

By indianlady