Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

How can I remove permanent black ink from my finger pad?

By Gail from Houston, TX

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Use Clearasil Stayclear Oil-Free Daily Face Wash. My daughter and her friend used this after they painted their face with Mr. Sketch. We used soap, water, rubbing alcohol. Nothing worked but Clearsil worked.

Best Answer

An answer to the question advised using Mr. Clean Eraser. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS as the warning on the box specifically states. I used it (without checking the warning on the box) and my 5 year has a very bad abrasion as a result.

Editor's Note: As with any advice you find on the internet, please use caution with any substance that is not intended to be used on skin. Always read and follow the manufacturer's guidelines.

The following things do not work on skin (so don't bother with them): Rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol-based hand sanitizer, hairspray, toothpaste, Comet, Clearasil face wash, grape jelly (though bonus points for creativity), olive oil, Lysol wipes, Uni-Solv, Clinique face wash, or soap/water. Should I find a perfect solution, I will post again.

My wife just got printer ink on her hands, lots of it. She used Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner, it worked almost instantly.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

January 21, 2010 Flag

How do you remove permanent ink on skin?

By Barbett from San Diego

Answers:

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try an alcohol based antiseptic hand wash. That might remove most of it. You will still probably be left with a faint mark though. But panic not, it will wear away. Permanent markers only stain the top few layers of skin, which are dead. So it will go as the skin goes. It's not like a tattoo where the ink is injected into the living skin cells below the surface. (04/01/2009)

By alloydog

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My friend had surgery and the area was marked with a permanent marker. She was told to use baby oil to remove it.
Goodness, I never knew there were so many ways to remove it. Good to know. (04/04/2009)

By indianlady

April 1, 2009 Flag

My 2 year old has ink all over her. Her sister left out the black ink gel pen and our dog chewed it up and she attempted to bring it to me and in return got ink all over her. My question is this, does anyone have any suggestions of how to remove this from her skin. I immediately bathed her and all that did was lighten it very little.

Chasity

Answers:

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I've found that using grape jelly (any kind- my husband's a seller) eliminates the ink instantly. Our printer breaks all the time, I've got two messy children who like to draw on each other with permanent markers, and I work in an office. A little jar of jelly does the trick like nothing can! (04/12/2006)

By Lynds

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

The baby wipes worked instantly and seemed the most "safe" to me! My daughter drew all over herself w/ red and green sharpies. I just got the really wet ones from the bottom of the tub and it worked. Try this before those other harsh suggestions. (09/01/2006)

By Heather

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I just dumped a whole printer cartridge on my lap wearing shorts and the only thing that worked was toothpaste and an electric toothbrush. I swear by it!(05/10/2007)

By Haley

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Thank you all so much for all of your posts and suggestions. I, too, had a wedding to go to when I got lots of black ink from a printer cartridge all over my hands. I tried many of the suggestions from what I had handy without much success except some fading from toothpaste and pumice soap. What worked the best for me was Spray 'n Wash Stain Stick and Permatek Fast Orange Hand Cleaner and a nail brush. Thanks for all the tips! (05/31/2007)

By Kathy

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

No Bleach! Especially on a child's skin - it can leave burns. Put a dab of Aquaphor (or other greasy cream or lotion) on the ink and rub. Then use a baby wipe to wipe it off. It comes off easy, and it's good for their skin. (06/12/2007)

By Bill M

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try washing your hands with a little bit of Comet scrub. Worked for me like a charm!--put lotion on afterward.
(06/13/2007)

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My 18 month old daughter got a hold of a ball point pen and got it all over herself. I used the creamy baby oil and baby wipes. All the ink came off so fast. Wish I'd known about this years ago. Thanks for the help. (06/13/2007)

By Anne M

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Most magic markers are alcohol based, as are many hairsprays. Simple Isopropyl Alcohol will remove most magic marker ink from most surfaces, and I suspect that it is the alcohol in the hairspray that is actually doing the removing. I use Isopropyl Alcohol everyday in cleaning and repairing consumer electronics. (kids + computers + magic markers make for an interesting looking PC).

(07/03/2007)

By Raven

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My son got a hold of a pen and there was ink on his hands and mouth. I was lucky because I caught it so quickly and I don't think he swallowed any. I used olive oil on a rag. The ink came right off! That's it, just olive oil. I didn't want to use any chemicals and this worked! (07/07/2007)

By Mother of 9 month old

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I got printer ink all over my hands filling a cartridge. I tried waterless soap, Goo Gone, nail polish remover, gas, hairspray, paint remover, nothing worked. Then I found this site and lo and behold bleach did the trick in about 10 seconds. Thanks.

Editor's Note: Bleach may work fine but please dilute it 1 to 10 parts water. Diluted bleach should work just as well and it won't be as hard on your skin. (07/24/2007)

By Jerry

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try Clorox 2 (not as dangerous as bleach) and scrub lightly with the backside of one of those sponges with a scruffy side. Worked great on ink from an ink jet cartridge. (08/21/2007)

By Richard

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I had my ink jet printer black ink explode in my hands yesterday. Couldn't clean it for about 5 hours until I got home. I tried the alcohol diluted, nothing. Tried Olive Oil, nothing. Tried that Orange hand cleaner stuff that mechanics use, it worked a little bit. I even tried acetone, but nothing. Worked out, took a shower, still there. I washed my face with Clinique foaming masque cleanser and when I when I was does, the ink was gone! So, I recommend Clinque. (09/06/2007)

By Tracy

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My co-worker was working with a permanent marker and got red ink all over her hands and desk. I used a baby wipe and Colgate toothpaste, along with rubbing with a little pressure. Ink was removed within minutes. (11/01/2007)

By Deborah

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

You know what really works, Windex. I never could of imagined but it really worked, really good. (12/07/2007)

By Haley Y

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Hairspray works - just spray, wait for 5 minutes, then rub off. (12/11/2007)

By Alex

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I got ink on my hands tonight, black printer ink at that. I tried everything I had that people said to us, it only faded it a little. So I used Palmolive gel dishwasher detergent it took it off immediately just barely scrubbed it in and it was gone. Make sure to rinse your hands well with water and use a moisturizer it can be a little drying. (01/12/2008)

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I think using Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer is absolutely great. It leaves your hands smelling fruity fresh. (05/31/2008)

By Herbo

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Ever try hot water and soap? (06/18/2008)

By Robert

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

The good old baking soda (sodium bicarbondate) that's in almost every kitchen will be far more gentle to your skin and the environment. Eco-friendly laundry booster will also do the trick. (01/11/2009)

By huhugrub

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I have suggested this before here. This works on permanent markers, ink, whatever. There is a product, used for gluing Plexiglas. It's called Weld-On #3 or #4. Put a little on a piece of cotton or something, wipe with this and presto, marks all gone. Wash well after. I keep it in the house just for this reason. By the way, it needs to be kept in a glass bottle, with a really tight fitting concave lid, otherwise it will just go away. (03/14/2009)

By C T

March 26, 2007 Flag

My 2 year old has ink all over her. Her sister left out the black ink gel pen and our dog chewed it up and she attempted to bring it to me and in return got ink all over her.

Removing Sharpie from Skin, Closeup of Sharpie Pen
Removing Sharpie from Skin
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousJanuary 21, 2010
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
A newspaper on a wood table.
Removing Newspaper Ink from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 24, 2016 at 3:04:45 AM on 10.0.1.168 in 313 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.