Does My Other Dog Have Parvo Too?

We had a dog die of Parvo. How long do we wait to see if our other dogs catch it?

By Bobbi

I don't think I'd wait to see if it is going to happen. I would take the other dogs to the vet to get a parvo injection to prevent. OR, if you know somebody who can give shots, buy the medicine and have them do it for you. http://www.jefferspets.com is a good place to buy pet medicines and they are prompt in their delivery.

I used to care for my 4 dogs when they have parvo virus. I had 2 puppy under 1yr and 2 adult dogs. One by one they all got infected. Parvo is a very contagious virus. Cause of death is dehydration since the dog will not eat or drink on top of that they will vomit and have a bad diarrhea all day long. You will have to keep a watchful eyes on each dog for any sudden change. I can tell right away that something was wrong when I didn't see one of the dog running up to the food bowl or greet me when I get home or just laying down by himself at a corner all day. The dog can get parvo from soil (if your sick dog have been vomited or gone to bathroom in the same yard area ) by ingestion or step on feces and bring that contamination back inside your home. So, to keep things at bay you will have to decontaminate all areas, toys, kennel, bedding (pretty much everything that the infected dog touches you will need to clean and sanitize them). I separated my 4 dogs in different areas of the house so this way when one gets better he/she don't have any chance of reinfected again from my other dogs. I went and bought a bottle of virus killer (it also kills many other harmful things in your home ) from a store that sells commercial cleaning products sometimes in a vacuum supplies store. This spray bottle is a liquid type and is uses in hospital and nursing home as it stated on the bottle. I don't have very much money to be putting my 4 dogs in a hospital but I need to act quick before their weak body takes them away so I asked the vet to see what I can do at home to fix them up. The vet said in order to keep them alive you have to give them IV on their neck under the skin (to keep their body hydrate) and Antibiotic. If you can stick a needle in your dog's neck to give him/her an IV you're gonna save a whole lots of money doing it at home and thats what I did, once before work and once after work and give the Antibiotic that the vet prescribe to them in their wet food or just push the pill to the back of their throat if they won't eat the food you gave them since the dog will most likely lost their appetite when they are sick you might have to buy one of those wet can food from the vet (these kind of food doesn't have much taste but the vet recommended to use it for sick dog). I got the IV (clear liquid IV in a pouch w/tube to attach the needle and liquid stopper in at the end ) and lots of needles (only use needle once and open new one each time you give your dog an IV because needle get dull once used) from the vet. Ask your vet to show you how to use the IV and how to properly give IV to your dog before you even thinking about sticking that needle in to them, get one helper to hold the dog in place will really helps unless your dog never move then you should be OK. One of my puppy was very weak since he was the tiniest of litter and he got it worst than others so the vet told me to keep him at the hospital so they can keep an eyes on him a little better. If I remember it correctly, he went in for about a week and my vet bill for him alone was a little bit over $1000. I'm sure glad they all made it out ok and glad that I was able to be their vet at home and now every time when any of my animals (21 chickens, 3 dogs, 2 cats and 2 cockatiels) get sick I go online and do all the research I can about their symptoms and the home remedy cures before I lift up a phone to bring them in for a vet office. I LOVED IT and THEY WELL, HAVE TO LOVE IT...

Goodluck with you and your dog : )

If all your dogs have received their current c5 vaccinations you should not have to worry but consult your veterinarian. They are professionals. With correct treatment, if you can't financially afford this, seriously consider not owning any animals. Good luck.

There are areas that saving money by doing it yourself is great , but other times you are asking for disaster. Something like parvo without a vet's help is one of those. It is great if your vet will help you provide "nursing" care at home by IV and providing equipment and instruction. We had a vet that did that when our old kitty was entering kidney failure. Owning a pet requires saving a little every month for emergency medical expenses that are sure to come up in the pets life time. I am currently fostering a dog that was abandoned at the vet's office when the person found that the dog was going to cost "moneY' . I'm not saying not to try to save money, I buy my pet's medications on the internet and my current vet will price match those prices. Good luck with your dogs.

Get to the health food store if your dog has parvo. You need colloidal silver (10ppm or stronger) for an enema. Half hour later, another CS enema. CS by mouth often as you can even if you have to do it by eyedropper full. Even if you have to hydrate all through the night. Feed anything liquid. Chicken soup is good. They die mostly because of dehydration. Germs in the house/yard live for at least 6 months. Good luck. Deadly disease they often get from the vaccine. Build immune system with good food and care. No grocery store garbage kibble or canned. No corn wheat or soy. That destroys immune system and causes bad skin too.

January 10, 2011 Flag

I recently lost my puppy my Daisy. She was fine Friday and by Sunday night she passed. We tried Gatoraid to keep her hydrated in case it was Parvo. Nothing worked. Well we have 2 other dogs one is 11 months, named Irish, and the other is Jasmine, she is 6 yrs old and she has had all her shots. Irish just got his. So is it to late for him? Will he get Parvo?

Today he hasn't eaten and did throw up his food this morning. He has only had dry heaves since then. I gave him Pedialyte and made him broth, but he won't eat it. I did give him an antibiotic amoxicillin. I'm afraid to got to sleep. Any suggestions? Can we really pull him out of this? I can't even imagine losing 2 dogs. Help!

Claudia from South Bend, IN

Answers:

Does My Other Dog Have Parvo Too?

I am not a vet but have quite a few years experience as a vet tech. Parvo is a fast acting virus and your best chance of your dog surviving (if he does have parvo) is to take him to the vet now. I have seen a lot of dogs survive this virus when they got immediate attention. The sooner your dog is started on IV fluids the better chance he has. If it is parvo and he is not given treatment soon, chances are he won't make it.

Parvo is a virus so antibiotics will not help. Pet vaccines are like human vaccines; they are very effective, but not 100%. I know this sounds gross, but sometimes you can tell if it is parvo by the smell. Often, there is blood mixed in with the vomit and/or diarrhea and it has a very strong smell, much worse than what it would normally smell.

I don't mean to scare you (well, maybe I do), but please don't take chances. Please take him to your vet, that is the "only" way to find out if it is parvo or not. (07/24/2008)

By Regina

Does My Other Dog Have Parvo Too?

Get a syringe and give him fluids with it. Get him to the vet. I had 5 pups get it one by one. They were 6 months and 9 months. I also have 6 adults who didn't get it. Isolate your puppy, and start cleaning with bleach, everything inside and outside. Keep your puppy warm also. Good luck. (12/31/2010)

By lonestarlady550

Does My Other Dog Have Parvo Too?

I also gave mine Karo syrup, dehydration and low blood sugar is why they die, you have to act fast. Good luck. (12/31/2010)

By lonestarlady550

dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 10, 2011
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Puppy Running in Yard
Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🎉
🎄