Making the Bride a Memento from Her Father's Dress Shirt

My cousin was really close to her father. Unfortunately he died at a young age. She is getting married next year and I would like to make her something out of a dress shirt I have of his. I would like it to be something she can wear or use in the wedding.

I also have a small engraved name plate he received shortly before his death. Any ideas? I can't really do anything to her wedding gown as it is borrowed.

By Pam

Maybe you could use part of the shirt to make a beautiful handkerchief, or a ring-bearer pillow (or both). If you are good at sewing, maybe some sort of camisole, if her dress can fully "hide" it. As for the engraved plate, it might be able to be worked into a piece of jewelry.

Maybe you could make a kind of ribbon or tubing to trim her veil or headpiece, since in many ceremonies the father lifts the veil off the daughter's face.

I agree with the others. If you have leftover fabric why not make a fabric Keepsake album.

I think it would be wonderful to make a drawstring bag from her fathers shirt and place his name plate inside of it. You could fancy it up by sewing white beads and/or beads of her wedding colors and, if she chooses, she could wear/hold it during her wedding walk down the aisle and hold it at least until the question, "Who gives this bride away?" as a tribute and reminder that he will be with her in soul.

Here are two links on how to make the bag:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi ... eadreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=971

http://www.essortment.com/all/drawstringbag_rdxo.htm

Make her a bridal garter perhaps using a cuff and/or fabric bands from the shirt along with lace etc. But get her an inexpernsive one to throw at the reception so she can keep the one made from her fathers shirt, perhaps the name plate could be sewn on it in some way. Another idea is that the name plate could have a pin back added and she could pin it to her gown, either inside or out, near her heart.

Got an idea that someone else has been doing here in our area. Keepsakes, no matter what the material is from. This gal makes bears from the clothing, whether old wedding dresses, special reason, parents, deaths, etc all things we want to keep something cherished from. This gal makes bears. Find someone is your area who sews and hire them to do something like this.

You could use the shirt as a chair cover for the Groom's chair. The shirt can be dressed the same as the wedding party,ie bow tie/tux jacket. Place it over the back of the Groom's chair with the front of the shirt buttoned in the back of the chair. Then bring the sleeves around and pin them as if the hands were folded. You could place a poem or a reading in her father's memory in the front pocket and have the groom read it to his new wife.

My mom had a "wedding dress" she had made it her self and wore it to every family wedding. I saved it when she passed away. I found a woman at a craft show who made beautiful cloth dolls. I gave her the dress, each doll was different (an angel, a clown, a jester etc) and she used the material as dresses and outer ware, I took charms off my mothers bracelets and hung one around every dolls neck. Everyone in our family cherishes their dolls! The white shirt could be used for, chefs, nurses, tiny brides, animals, angels etc and enjoyed by everyone!

(I have the Teddie bears made from her mink stole.)

I think the shirt would make a great pillow for the rings. She could keep it after as a decor pillow in her home.

Weddings GiftsNovember 23, 2010
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Corpse Bride Costume
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
Girl with Homemade Father's Day Card
Homemade Father's Day Cards
Little girl in a bride costume.
Making a Bride Costume
🎉
🎄