Do All Un-neutered Dogs Mark Their Territory?

I would like to know if all un-neutered dogs mark their territory? I know my mother's dog did, but I am wondering if mine is also going to do that. What are the odds? I just need to know if I should get him fix, as I am interested in breeding him.

schubunny from Moncton, NB

As far as I know, all male dogs will, fixed or not. At least, all of mine have.

Ours is fixed and he gets every tree when we take him elsewhere, and gets all the tires on visiting vehicles.

Ooop. I forgot to say.. I meant in the house. I know they do it outside, I am just worried about my walls.. ? :)

There is a great chance that any intact male dog will mark his territory inappropriately in the house. This happens more when you have any friends/company over. He will want to make sure noone else is going to take what is his. There may be some dogs that won't. You never really know until your dog does it. And when he does, then your options are neuter ASAP before he *learns* to do it often, clean the spot well and confine him when you have company, or make him an outside dog. It is a natural urge in an intact dog, so you can't get too mad at him.

If the dog is neutered before he's 6 months old, the tendency to mark will be greatly reduced.

Note that this also applies to a female dog -- unspayed females will mark their territory too !

Get the dog neutered. You'll get next to nothing for a backyard breeding but you will have a few of the pups dumped into a shelter before they're a year old. You want a great family pet. Other posts have stated a 6 month rule that is false.

No matter when you have the dog neutered; you will be able to stop inappropriate territory marking and slightly curb some aggressive tendencies which would be good for a novice dog owner such as yourself.

Neutering will also radically decrease the dog's tendency to run away. MANY dog catchers will use a female in heat to drive around with to lure the males right to the truck. They load the truck up without even breaking a sweat because it's so effective. It should also give you a price break on the license. You're far better off getting him neutered!

Neutering dogs does NOT guarantee that a dog will stop marking his territory. It will help. It is even better if you do neuter him at 6 months before they reach their sexual maturity and figure out how to mark everything. If they do mark their territory for years then neutering will only help the situation. It might eliminate it...it might not. But definitely best to neuter him.

Please, please have your dog neutered. There are so many unwanted dogs in shelters, we don't need more.

If the dog is a specific breed and you are going to show him and qualify him for breeding, then you may breed him. If he is for a pet, do have him fixed. My male fixed Britney did not mark in the house, only when we went on walks to let other dogs know he had been there. It is part of the male dog instinct to mark their territory, but fixed ones probably aren't as aggressive so don't do it as much.

The point of the matter is-unless your dog is a champion-get him fixed. Too many puppies already in this world.

I have this yorkie Wa Wa, which I bought late July, and I get up at all hours of night to take him outside, he goes, and also his poo, every morning without fail, but he keeps going around the house lifting his little leg, I have not neutered him yet, as he is 1 year 5 months, and thinking of taking him to the spca, have had to buy a new carpet wall to wall in my bed-room, I think the world of him, but it's going to kill me.

Hi.. I couldn't come up with anything on why my 14 month old cocker spaniel is not marking at all yet. He was neutered at 7 months of age. He also doesn't lift his leg. He's going to be a squatter I guess. He was also a late decision to sell which kept him in the breeders' kennel for the first 5 months. Every dog I have had, neutered or not stopped by every bush they could to mark. Other problems associated is his ability to "hold it". I'm off to the vet as I am still doing puppy duty.

Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 25, 2008
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
A pug sitting on the floor in the kitchen.
Dog Marking Territory in the House
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
house cat
Reasons Cats Spray
🎉
🎄