Spider Plant Leaf Tips Turn Brown

Why do some say I'm over watering my spider plants because the leaves and babies are brown, and some say under watering? Which is it?

By Kitty from Indianapolis, IN

Here is a link... all about spider plants:

http://www.suit  er-plants-a34831

Actually, it is neither over watering or under watering that causes the leave tips to turn brown. Spider plants do like lots of water, but they need to dry out between watering. They have a great root system that holds plenty of water for them. If you over water, the roots will rot. I find it pretty hard to underwater. I just check the soil and when it's dry (about once a week) i water with distilled water. However, I do mist mine with a water bottle daily as they don't like the dry air in my house. To avoid leaves turning brown, water them with distilled water. It's the chemicals in tap water that cause the tips to turn.

you can also tell if they need water, they actually fade.