Keep Raccoons Out of Garden

To keep raccoons out of the sweet corn, put peanut butter between strips of aluminum foil folded over an electric wire about a foot off the ground. The raccoons will be attracted to the peanut butter and touch it and get a shock which will keep them away.

By Judy from Pierce, NE

Judy suggests using an electric fence to keep raccoons from corn, which is a good deterrent. There is no need however to entice the raccoon with peanut butter. I'm sure Judy is a nice person and just hasn't thought this through. This is a bit sadistic and really serves no purpose. The corn is a big enough draw for the raccoons and putting out peanut butter with its strong smell will just encourage more raccoons. We need to realize that all of the woodland creatures have a right to exist and we don't want to cause them unnecessary discomfort.

I agree with the first poster; the peanut butter is indeed sadistic and unnecessary. I have found that racoons find it hard to get into my garden, as I have it enclosed inside a double layer of snow fencing. The outer layer sags and collapses when they try to climb over it, and the inner layer, which is about 2 feet higher, and about 8 to 12 inches inside the outer ring, seems to confuse them, as they don't realize it is a second fence. Works for me, and my neighbor has a family of coons living under her porch...about 50 feet from my garden!

Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 8, 2010
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Two raccoons find a cooler at a campsite.
Keeping Raccoons Out of a Campsite
Raccoon Getting into Birdfeeder
Getting Rid of Raccoons
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
🎉
🎄