Yellow Jackets In House

Help, we have hundreds (and I am not kidding) of yellow jackets in our home. We have probably killed 6 or 7 hundred but they are still here. Any advice. No one has gotten stung yet except the dog.

Barb from Fairview, MI

Barb, I think I'd call an exterminator. I wouldn't mess around with yellow jackets. They're just plain mean!!! My daughter was stung 3 times when she was little just by sitting in front of where there was a nest (which, of course, she didn't know).

We have a vineyard, and when the grapes get ripe (this is happening right now as I write) the yellow jackets move in and devour the fruit. To keep the yellow jackets away from the fruit we put out bowls of sugar water, actually shallow pans work the best. The yellow jackets swarm to the sugar water in a mad frenzy. Use one part sugar to four parts water. A good bunch of them drown but if they don't you can spray the sugar water with the yellow jackets in the water with an aerosol can of yellow jacket killer. Hopefully, your yellow jackets will show up and you can find where they come from and trap them. I am allergic to yellow jackets so it is frightening to me to see so may of them outside, but they don't bother with me, they want that sugar water. I am trying to correct my errors in this post but it doesn't seem to work. you want n 10 percent sugar in the water.

I don't know how to get rid of yellowjackets, but I read that if you get stung put a penny on the sting and hold it there for about 15 minutes, something about the copper in the penny that keeps it from swelling.I haven't had a chance to try it.

I heard spraying them with hairspray will make them drop (haven't tried this so don't know if they are stunned or killed). Good luck, they have a nasty sting.

Barb - Just curious - How did so many get into your house? I had a similar experience with bees years ago and they ate a hole in my ceiling! We have a lot of them this year too and I don't know how to get rid of them, but worry they might get into our house too. I have gone through 10 cans of spray outside and they are still around.

If there is a grain store in your area, you can pick up traps. They have something inside to draw the bees and then thay can't get out. If you don't have a grain store, google for AGWAY, You should be able to order by mail. Good Luck

By all means, call an exterminator. There may be a hole in the attic, basement, somewhere that they are getting in. There is probably a large nest somewhere if there are that many. I had yellow jackets once in my yard near my front porch (I'd even told the mailman to not leave any mail especially if it was only junk) and the exterminator came out with a hip bottle. When he saw my infestation, he left and came out with a truck full of chemicals (he wasn't going to take any chances). Also, yellow jackets are best treated in the evening when they are back in their nest rather in the daytime when they are most active.

The exterminator was not all that expensive either!

Hi Everyone, who took time to answer my request about the yellow jackets. We have tried the sugar and water and the traps, my husband has gone out at night and gotten rid of some nests but we think that they are wasps nests. we have calked every hole we can find and now they are in our lower level too. As far as an exterminator is concerned the closest one is over an hour away and I am not sure they would come this far. I guess a simple phone call would find out. I guess I could pray for a quick cold hard frost. But it is too nice out now, and living in northern Michigan we take all the warm weather we can get.

We had problems with bees at our ranch and found a spot where they were entering the wall on the outside of the house. We waited till dark then wet the area with water and threw Seven Dust on the damp wall where they were landing to enter. The next morning the bees were gone. This was in south Texas where there have been African Bees found so we chose this method not wanting to wait and see if they were African or Honey Bees.

I have the same problem with yellow jackets/wasps in my apartment. I have no idea how they are getting in. Management sprayed around the outside of the building after I mentioned the problem to them. I'm still getting them. I kill anywhere from one to 7/8 a day. Then there might be a day where we don't see any. I have moved the furniture that I can, to check behind that, but I have some large pieces that I can't move, in fact most of my furniture is that way. The creatures act like they are in the process of dying when they appear, but I don't want to take any chances.

yellow jackets in a house
Getting Rid of Yellow Jackets in Your House
Home and Garden Pest Control Bees & WaspsOctober 4, 2007
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Cleaning Life Jackets
Cleaning Life Jackets
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
🎉
🎄