Schedule Back to School Physicals Now

My children participate in school team sports which require an up to date physical to be on file with the school to participate in practices and meets. Our insurance requires a physical no earlier than 366 days after the last one. Doctor appointments can be hard to come by near the end of summer. What's a mom to do?

I schedule my child's physical prior to the end of the school year to be assured I get an appointment so minimize not having a current physical on file. Schedule your child's school physical for the middle of summer if possible so your schedule will not be as hectic as it is near the start of school.

Be sure to tell the physician you need a completed school physical form and take it with you when you leave their office. Make extra copies of this so if the school cannot locate their copy at any time you can produce a current copy avoiding unnecessary calls or visits to the physicians office.

By skibum1910 from Prospect, KY

Great advice, however, I would like to add to it. Some school districts require dental exams for children entering kindergarten, 5th grade, and freshman year of high school. As a retired dental assistant who worked for a pedodontist (a pediatric dentist) I would urge parents to schedule those exams now also. The most recent dental exam cannot be anymore than 6 months ago. People get busy and don't realize how much and how quickly time passes and before they know it it's time for back to school and most drs. and dentists get backlogged with people trying to get their kids in for the necessary exams.

As a formerly-disorganized mom who got caught in this situation, I can add one more thing: immunizations must be up-to-date, so do your best to keep accurate records. If you just can't accomplish everything before the school year begins, though, don't sweat it. Our school district offered one of the booster shots my middle-schooler needed in the first weeks of the school year. I think it was MMR, but don't quote me on it!) They accept all insurances, including Medicaid, for these, so don't put them off!

Glad you shared this, it'll hopefully save another mom like I was...

Girl Getting on the Bus to go Back to School
Preparing Kids for Going Back to School
Health & Beauty AdviceApril 26, 2010
A vet giving a dog a vaccination.
ASPCA Pet Vaccination Truck Schedule
Middle School Survival Kit
Making a Middle School Survival Kit
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School