Make Sure Your Propane Tank Is Empty Before Refilling

Did you know the cost to fill you propane bottle is the same regardless how much propane it takes to fill it? Sometimes it is hard to tell if a bottle is full, half full, or empty. A bottle should have its empty weight on the side, it should be in the neighborhood of 17 lbs. for a small BBQ or fryer sized bottle. A full tank weighs 38 lbs.

I found this out today when I took a bottle to be filled. They charge over $26 to fill a bottle. They asked me if I was sure, I told them to "top it off". That is when they told me it wasn't like buying gas, you pay the full price if it takes a little or if it is totally empty.

I saved myself $26 plus tax. Next time, I will weigh the bottle before I take it to see if it really needs to be filled or not.

Source: The guy at Orschelons. I called some other propane places around, and they verified what he told me as being correct.

By April from NW MO

This is true of most places..however, we have a place In Marshfield, Missouri-Chastain's Rental who charges by weight so you only pay for what you get. So if you check you may find a place in your area.

Merry Christmas!

Hi April,

I posted a tip awhile back that will help you determine how much propane is left in your tank.

There's nothing worse than running out of fuel halfway through grilling. If your grill doesn't have a gas gauge, use this technique to estimate how much gas is left in the tank. Start by bringing a cup or so of water to a boil in a small saucepan or glass measuring cup (if using a microwave). Pour the water over the side of the tank. Next, feel the metal with your hand. Where the water has succeeded in warming the tank, it is empty; where the tank remains cool to the touch, there is still propane inside.

On the larger tanks for heating and such - Do Not run your tank empty! I'm with Amerigas, and they want you to call them when you are down to 10%. The larger tanks have gauges on them. Anyway, they have to blow the tank and lines out if you let it run empty and that costs an extra $40!

Anonymous

Hi. I am wondering if anyone knows where there is a good used propane heat stove and propane tank? My sister lives in Calistoga and needs to find a heater before winter sets in Napa and Sonoma counties. She is 80 years old and can't use the wood stove anymore. If you know anyone that has one for sale, please let me know. Thank you so much.