Musty Smelling Linens

I have a small closet where I keep bed linens. The closet smells okay, but the linens smell musty or moldy after just a few days, and I must wash them (again) before use.

Any ideas, please?
Linda, FL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Hi Linda! I'm certainly no expert on this..heehee...but are you sure your linens are absolutely dry when you fold them and put them away? Also those little sachet packets are excellent. You could also try placing dryer sheets (new or used) in between your linen. Just a few thoughts. Hope you find a solution :)

I agree, you need to be sure everything is bone dry before you stack it up and put away. However if you live in Lousiana or some other humid place, that might not fix the problem. I also use dryer sheets in my drawers and closets, but I think that will not 'cure' your mold/mildew problem but will just mask the smell. Sorry I can't offer anything else.

There are dehumidifying agents out there, some reusable (you bake it when it gets moist), some not--like Damp Rid. (It turns into liquid, then you dump it out.) Clay cat litter absorbs moisture, and it's cheap. Baking soda absorbs odors. If you don't already have cat litter, you could try getting some that has baking soda already in it. You could put it in an open box, bowl, or cloth bag (like a pillow case, knotted) in the closet while it's empty overnight to absorb moisture, then put the linens in the next day. (Hmm, sounds like it'd work.) If you use a box or bowl, it should be wide, so it has more litter exposed to the air. The cloth bag would be best, I think.

I use Charcoal brickets to get rid of the humidity in my closets. Then To rid the musty smell you might figure out a way to safely set an open cup (it doesn't take much vinegar)of vinegar, it will rid your closet of the musty smell.

It may not help the humidity, but as a general deoderizer, baking soda works great. Dry it into a mold and hang it, or put it in a small container that is open, or has openings in the lid. The baking soda actually absorbs odors, so it will need to be chages periodically. Use this trick anywhere you have an odor problem, litter box, bathroom, refridgerator etc.

Go to Lowes and buy some odor gel. It is under $4.00 And works great in my linen closet and also in the laundry room where my kitty litter pan is. There is no overpowering aroma to this gel like sprays and it's easier to use. Just lift off the top. Keeps out the bad odors.

Works for me,

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Washing Bed Sheets
Cleaning Bed Sheets
Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsAugust 22, 2005
Musty Shoes
Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Musty Smelling Carpet
Cleaning Musty Smelling Carpets
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 7:27:47 PM on 10.0.2.174 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.