Turn Microwave Plate and Turntable Into A Lazy Susan

contest winner icon

I recently saw a tip about recycling a microwave plate as a planter water catcher, serving plate, or anything else your heart desires and a light bulb idea turned on! Besides keeping the glass microwave plate when replacing your microwave; be sure to also keep the plastic piece the plate sits on that works as the microwave turntable. Although my microwave is fine, I decided to do an experiment and here's how I got this idea to work.

Punch a very slightly larger hole than the small round turntable piece into the center of the top portion of a large, fairly deep top metal jar lid (the lid I used is 1/2 inch deep and about 3 1/2 inches around). Place the small round part of the turntable into the hole of the jar. This will help give balance once the plate is placed on top of the pronged turntable. Depending on the size of your microwave plate, you may need a larger around jar lid for balance but the size I used works just fine for my 9 1/2 inch plate :-)

Next sit the dish on the turntable piece exactly the same as they sit together in the microwave and you will have a new Lazy Susan that can be used for your spices (or other items) in your kitchen cabinet, on counter top, tabletop or even for items on your desk or bathroom counter for easy access of those items with just a spin of the plate.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Thanks, Deeli. Your ideas and pics are always right on the spot. I'm hoping for a new microwave for Christmas, so the tip is very timely. Cay from FL

Aren't you the clever one? We'll be watching for more ideas. LOL hugs Vi

What a great idea!

That sounds like a great idea! But would it be possible for someone to post a step-by-step visual of the materials needed and how to assemble it? Some of us (okay, maybe just me) need to see it to understand how to do it.

Sounds like a good idea but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Don't know what large hole you are referring to.

What a great idea. Rubbermaid turntables might work also.

I use mine as a cake plate. Years ago I found a cake cover, it's an old metal one. Cakes fit on it very well and it's great using something from the past to cover it in.

If I need to ice a cake I put it on the old microwave plate - it turns round much easier than an ordinary plate.

Marg from England.

Microwave Glass Plate
Uses for a Microwave Glass Plate
Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 15, 2010
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Lazy Susan
Using a Lazy Susan
Quiche Being Served on White Plate
Microwave Quiche Recipes
Lazy Susan with Marbles Teaser
Making a Lazy Susan with Marbles