Starting Worm Bin for Fish Bait

Category Miscellaneous
Worm Bin
When you are planning on lots of fishing, it's great to have worms readily available. This guide is about starting a worm bin for fish bail.

We like to go fishing, but worms have become very expensive. We have built our own worm bed outside, and it saved us from running to the store. We can dig our worms any time we want.

We took wood and made a bottomless box that sets on the ground. The box is about 10 to 12 inches tall, and as long and wide as you want it to be. We threw in some sticks, leaves, and soil.

We used soil from another area of the yard that already had worms in it, or you can buy worms to start. Then I added coffee grounds, including the filter, tea bags, and all of the green waste from my kitchen. Add a layer of soil over the layer of kitchen waste, and continue this, turning the pile as needed.

At first we saw regular earth worms, before long we were digging up big night crawlers. Also keep it moist, but not wet. We covered it with a piece of old wood to hold in the moisture. Now go fish!

By Rae 1956 from Fulton, MO

If you'd like to raise fishing worms, but have been stymied by the lack of compost, cornmeal, vegetable matter, or manure to feed the little critters, try this:

Fill the worm box with pieces of corrugated cardboard, wet the chunks of scrap down good, let them stand for a couple of days, then put the worms in on top. The worms will burrow right down into the moist corrugations and live on the glue that's on the material. Keep an inch of damp peat moss on top of the cardboard to hold the moisture in and the worms in the box will thrive as long as there's any glue left to eat.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

I am starting a worm farm, but I can't find the worms they say I need. The ones I need are not nightcrawlers or red wigglers. I am looking for another type more suited to Newfoundland, Canada. Thanks.

By Marie from Newfoundland

Contact info@mainebait.com Good luck.