Removing Sticky Grease Residue from Pans

Sticky residue on pots, pans, and baking trays may result from grease buildup. This guide offers suggestions to clean the sticky grease residue from cookware.

January 27, 2011 Flag

I have expensive Calphalon cookware. When using it, I get grease stains on the bottom and sides. I have purchased the Calphalon Dormond cleaner. That does not work. I have tried everything. Please help, I hate cooked on grease.

By Renae from DeBerry, TX

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Dawn Power Dissolver. It is a spray. I have seen it at Walmart. We used it to clean broaster baskets at the deli. Amazing stuff.

Best Answer

Just got back from a festival with my NEW deep fryer. Washed the "washable" parts in the dishwasher. They came out with this THICK, tacky grease yuck on them! Hope this does the trick. Thank you!

When I get cooked on grease on the outside of my pans, I just put a squirt of dishwashing detergent on the area and rub a little with the dishcloth, than rinse under really hot water, and the cookd on grease is gone.

Eazy off oven cleaner will do it.

March 21, 2006 Flag

Please help me remove baked Pam residue from a regular cookie sheet (NOT nonstick).

Thanks,
Susie Whorley from Chapel Hill, NC

Best Answer

Try using SOS pads. They work!

Best Answer

Barkeepers's friend....all I can say!

The magic eraser didn't work for me either, but it did make me look under my sink for something else to try. the solution: De-Solv-it. It works on everything! Try it ;)

I used a product called Bon Ami on my non-stick cookie sheet. It is a powdered cleanser similar to Comet but it doesn't scratch. Sprinkle it on the damp surface and use a wet sponge with the non-scratch scrubber side. It wasn't that hard to remove. If I had cleaned it this way right after cooking it probably would have been even easier.

September 17, 2009 Flag

Anyone out there know how to get rid of the sticky film on frying pans after using an oil spray? Thanks. This is after you have already washed the pans.

By Coolmom from Flint, MI

Best Answer

If the skillet doesn't have a non-stick surface, you can use a Brillo or SOS pad.

Best Answer

I have tried vinegar, baking soda, soap and nothing seems to work, so I use a Stanley scraper and it works fine. The only problem, except for being a bit time consuming, are the corners. Those are hard to get withou damaging non-stick finish. Otherwise, the surface remains usable. Scrape carefully so you don't remove the Teflon, though...

I use Goo Gone for this and it works well. You can get Goo Gone at any store and it removes grease, glue residue, icky sticky stuff.

I use a powder called Cameo on my pans. Works great!

November 2, 2010 Flag

What products/chemicals can be used to remove peanut oil from the cooking containers and utensils? When we deep fry over open burners there is a gummy substance on the outside of the pans that is hard to get off. Any suggestions?

By Alan from Suwanee, GA

Best Answer

Simple Green. It's a spray cleaner/de-greaser found in the automotive & sometimes household cleaner section of the store. You will be amazed at how fast that stuff works! You spray it on & you don't even have to let it sit or scrub very hard, it just melts the dirt & oil!

I discovered this on my old Revereware tea kettle that sits on the stove all the time & no matter how I scrubbed it or what I used on it, I never could get all the gunk & black stuff off. It was so dark, discolored & ugly, that I was at my wits end & was going to throw it away,then I decided to try the Simple Green cause I use it on everything else anyway. It blew me away how well it worked, it looks like I have a brand new kettle & I didn't have to hurt my hand (I have arthritis & carpal tunnel) scrubbing, just lightly scrubbed with a regular pot scrubber & all was gone!

Best Answer

Dawn Power Dissolver. We used this at our business but you can find it in some stores too.

If the pans are stainless steel, easy off oven cleaner will clean them.

January 27, 2011 Flag

Cooking oil was filled up in my Calphalon pot. It started boiling and spilled over the edge. Now there are yellow stains and black/brown burnt stains on the exterior of the pot. How do I clean this?

By Laurena from Houston, TX

Answers:

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

First thing to try is baking soda. Get a washing cloth/rag, not a sponge, they 'give' too much.
Dampen and wring out as much as you can. Put the spot you want to clean right in front of you, with pot on side, so you can pour baking soda on spot and not have it fall off. Put your finger inside cloth and begin to rub. You want to have about 1/8 the inch of soda on the spot, more seems to work better. Keep scrubbing until soda is used up, moving from one area to another, adding soda as necessary.

I tried baking soda long ago and found it ineffective, but I was using it wrong; only recently have I discovered you don't want a wet cloth at all, but it has to be just a little damp and you want a lot of soda. Basically the cloth is pushing the soda around. I've used it to clean up gummed on grease around the burners of the stove [the grandsons are not tidy] and it comes up pretty quickly. (11/29/2009)

By PIKKA

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

Try soaking the pan overnight in a sink/dishpan of hot water with 1 cup of powdered dishwasher detergent dissolved in it, then scrub with a nylon scrubby. If you cannot submerge the entire pot, do it in sections repeating with fresh solutions. If you do not have powder detergent on hand, the el cheapo brand from the dollar store works well. This method also works on baking pans with the cooking spray/Pam baked on. (12/02/2009)

By Omanana

November 2, 2010 Flag

After several instances of baking beer battered fish fillets, my cookie sheets (non stick) and my toaster oven baking pan (aluminum I think), all have a thick yellow gooey greasy residue. It is so gooey there is no cleaning by scrubbing. I have used a plastic spatula to scrape some off but it looks hopeless. Please help.

By Linda from FL

Answers:

For any pots, pans and baking trays can get a build up of grease. An easy way to remove this is to, cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of powdered detergent and leave for a few hours. This should loosen the baked on baked on grease enough to wash. (04/15/2010)

By kffrmw88

Hi! Sticky yellow grease is icky. Put on your hair-dyeing gloves (or get some really cool ones from the beauty supply store) and mix 3 parts salt and 2 parts white vinegar and scrub, scrub, scrub. Rinse in hot water.

Apply one of those Cascade brand dishwasher packets. Dissolve one in each pan and add boiling water. Let stand for about 30 minutes or so, be sure to cover the water up to the rim of each pan. Remember to wear your gloves!
After, if there is any grease left, use salt and lemon juice to finish. If all else fails, buy new pans. Good luck. (04/16/2010)

By sue123

If you have heavy all metal pans you can leave them in your self cleaning oven and let it do the work for you. Do not try this on your old thin cookie sheets, or you will throw them away as I did. The aluminum heavy cookie sheets and pans came out wonderful, looked like new.

I ran the oven for one hour first to see if that was long enough, another hour for one that was really bad. I have a spill over ring that lives in my oven, I never take it out. It got left by mistake and went through the auto cleaning and looked new, that's how I discovered this. All I have to do is wipe off the ash. I would not try this on teflon or other coated pans. (04/16/2010)

By latrtatr

Scrape of what you can with a spatula, then mix a paste of baking soda, salt and a few drops of liquid dish soap. Spread all over and let it sit for a while, go walk your dog or something. Come back and scrub with your nylon scrubby. This should work and it won't hurt your hands or the finish on non-stick pans. (04/16/2010)

By Deborah570

I'll bet it is a build up of a cooking spray. I have that problem, and never could figure out how to remove it. (04/16/2010)

By Coll3

If it is not aluminum, use Arm and Hammer washing soda. Directions say not to use on aluminum (the soda darkens aluminum pans). (04/16/2010)

By moravice

The baking soda and salt ideas should work, and in the future do what I do to avoid the problem by lining the sheets and pans with aluminum foil. ;-) (04/16/2010)

By Deeli

I have heard that soaking a fabric softner sheet in the pan overnight will loosen the grease so you can just wipe it out. I haven't tried it yet. Foil in the future is a good idea though. Wish I could remember to do it. : ) (04/16/2010)

By eveh

I buy "Greased Lightning." It comes in a spray bottle, spray it on and let it soak overnight. It will take the burned on grease off. (04/18/2010)

By graymare47

November 29, 2009 Flag

What really works to clean cooked on grease off pans? It seems like I have tried everything, cream of tarter/vinegar, baking soda/vinegar, baking soda/water, Dawn and Ajax.

March 20, 2009 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenSeptember 5, 2013
Mirror
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Leather Jacket
Removing Sticky Residue from Name Tag on Leather Jacket
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎄