Removing Sticky Grease Residue from Pans

Category Kitchen
Woman cleaning greasy frying pan.
Sticky residue on pots, pans, and baking trays may result from grease buildup. This guide offers suggestions to clean the sticky grease residue from cookware.

Please help me remove baked Pam residue from a regular cookie sheet (NOT nonstick).

Thanks,
Susie Whorley from Chapel Hill, NC

Answers

Best Answer

Try using SOS pads. They work!

Best Answer

Barkeepers's friend....all I can say!

Anyone out there know how to get rid of the sticky film on frying pans after using an oil spray? Thanks. This is after you have already washed the pans.

By Coolmom from Flint, MI

Best Answer

If the skillet doesn't have a non-stick surface, you can use a Brillo or SOS pad.

Best Answer

I have tried vinegar, baking soda, soap and nothing seems to work, so I use a Stanley scraper and it works fine. The only problem, except for being a bit time consuming, are the corners. Those are hard to get withou damaging non-stick finish. Otherwise, the surface remains usable. Scrape carefully so you don't remove the Teflon, though...

What products/chemicals can be used to remove peanut oil from the cooking containers and utensils? When we deep fry over open burners there is a gummy substance on the outside of the pans that is hard to get off. Any suggestions?

By Alan from Suwanee, GA

Best Answer

Simple Green. It's a spray cleaner/de-greaser found in the automotive & sometimes household cleaner section of the store. You will be amazed at how fast that stuff works! You spray it on & you don't even have to let it sit or scrub very hard, it just melts the dirt & oil!

I discovered this on my old Revereware tea kettle that sits on the stove all the time & no matter how I scrubbed it or what I used on it, I never could get all the gunk & black stuff off. It was so dark, discolored & ugly, that I was at my wits end & was going to throw it away,then I decided to try the Simple Green cause I use it on everything else anyway. It blew me away how well it worked, it looks like I have a brand new kettle & I didn't have to hurt my hand (I have arthritis & carpal tunnel) scrubbing, just lightly scrubbed with a regular pot scrubber & all was gone!

Best Answer

Dawn Power Dissolver. We used this at our business but you can find it in some stores too.

After several instances of baking beer battered fish fillets, my cookie sheets (non stick) and my toaster oven baking pan (aluminum I think), all have a thick yellow gooey greasy residue. It is so gooey there is no cleaning by scrubbing. I have used a plastic spatula to scrape some off but it looks hopeless. Please help.

By Linda from FL

Answers:

For any pots, pans and baking trays can get a build up of grease. An easy way to remove this is to, cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of powdered detergent and leave for a few hours. This should loosen the baked on baked on grease enough to wash. (04/15/2010)

By kffrmw88

Hi! Sticky yellow grease is icky. Put on your hair-dyeing gloves (or get some really cool ones from the beauty supply store) and mix 3 parts salt and 2 parts white vinegar and scrub, scrub, scrub. Rinse in hot water.

Apply one of those Cascade brand dishwasher packets. Dissolve one in each pan and add boiling water. Let stand for about 30 minutes or so, be sure to cover the water up to the rim of each pan. Remember to wear your gloves!
After, if there is any grease left, use salt and lemon juice to finish. If all else fails, buy new pans. Good luck. (04/16/2010)

By sue123

If you have heavy all metal pans you can leave them in your self cleaning oven and let it do the work for you. Do not try this on your old thin cookie sheets, or you will throw them away as I did. The aluminum heavy cookie sheets and pans came out wonderful, looked like new.

I ran the oven for one hour first to see if that was long enough, another hour for one that was really bad. I have a spill over ring that lives in my oven, I never take it out. It got left by mistake and went through the auto cleaning and looked new, that's how I discovered this. All I have to do is wipe off the ash. I would not try this on teflon or other coated pans. (04/16/2010)

By latrtatr

Scrape of what you can with a spatula, then mix a paste of baking soda, salt and a few drops of liquid dish soap. Spread all over and let it sit for a while, go walk your dog or something. Come back and scrub with your nylon scrubby. This should work and it won't hurt your hands or the finish on non-stick pans. (04/16/2010)

By Deborah570

I'll bet it is a build up of a cooking spray. I have that problem, and never could figure out how to remove it. (04/16/2010)

By Coll3

If it is not aluminum, use Arm and Hammer washing soda. Directions say not to use on aluminum (the soda darkens aluminum pans). (04/16/2010)

By moravice

The baking soda and salt ideas should work, and in the future do what I do to avoid the problem by lining the sheets and pans with aluminum foil. ;-) (04/16/2010)

By Deeli

I have heard that soaking a fabric softner sheet in the pan overnight will loosen the grease so you can just wipe it out. I haven't tried it yet. Foil in the future is a good idea though. Wish I could remember to do it. : ) (04/16/2010)

By eveh

I buy "Greased Lightning." It comes in a spray bottle, spray it on and let it soak overnight. It will take the burned on grease off. (04/18/2010)

By graymare47