Removing Sticky Grease Residue from Pans

Sticky residue on pots, pans, and baking trays may result from grease buildup. This guide offers suggestions to clean the sticky grease residue from cookware.

Woman cleaning greasy frying pan.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Please help me remove baked Pam residue from a regular cookie sheet (NOT nonstick).

Thanks,
Susie Whorley from Chapel Hill, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After trying many ways to remove the spray and grease from my cookie sheet. I poured enough vinegar in the cookie sheet to cover the bottom and placed it in a 250° oven for 25 minutes. I scraped the cookie sheet with a spatula and it just come off the bottom in yellow sheets. With a little elbow grease the corners came clean and it looks new again.

Read More Answers...

I have expensive Calphalon cookware. When using it, I get grease stains on the bottom and sides. I have purchased the Calphalon Dormond cleaner. That does not work. I have tried everything. Please help, I hate cooked on grease.

By Renae from DeBerry, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dawn Power Dissolver. It is a spray. I have seen it at Walmart. We used it to clean broaster baskets at the deli. Amazing stuff.

Read More Answers...

Anyone out there know how to get rid of the sticky film on frying pans after using an oil spray? Thanks. This is after you have already washed the pans.

By Coolmom from Flint, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have tried vinegar, baking soda, soap and nothing seems to work, so I use a Stanley scraper and it works fine. The only problem, except for being a bit time consuming, are the corners. Those are hard to get withou damaging non-stick finish. Otherwise, the surface remains usable. Scrape carefully so you don't remove the Teflon, though...

Read More Answers...

What products/chemicals can be used to remove peanut oil from the cooking containers and utensils? When we deep fry over open burners there is a gummy substance on the outside of the pans that is hard to get off. Any suggestions?

By Alan from Suwanee, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dawn Power Dissolver. We used this at our business but you can find it in some stores too.

Read More Answers...

Cooking oil was filled up in my Calphalon pot. It started boiling and spilled over the edge. Now there are yellow stains and black/brown burnt stains on the exterior of the pot. How do I clean this?

By Laurena from Houston, TX

Answers:

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

First thing to try is baking soda. Get a washing cloth/rag, not a sponge, they 'give' too much.
Dampen and wring out as much as you can. Put the spot you want to clean right in front of you, with pot on side, so you can pour baking soda on spot and not have it fall off. Put your finger inside cloth and begin to rub. You want to have about 1/8 the inch of soda on the spot, more seems to work better. Keep scrubbing until soda is used up, moving from one area to another, adding soda as necessary.

I tried baking soda long ago and found it ineffective, but I was using it wrong; only recently have I discovered you don't want a wet cloth at all, but it has to be just a little damp and you want a lot of soda. Basically the cloth is pushing the soda around. I've used it to clean up gummed on grease around the burners of the stove [the grandsons are not tidy] and it comes up pretty quickly. (11/29/2009)

By PIKKA

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

Try soaking the pan overnight in a sink/dishpan of hot water with 1 cup of powdered dishwasher detergent dissolved in it, then scrub with a nylon scrubby. If you cannot submerge the entire pot, do it in sections repeating with fresh solutions. If you do not have powder detergent on hand, the el cheapo brand from the dollar store works well. This method also works on baking pans with the cooking spray/Pam baked on. (12/02/2009)

By Omanana

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After several instances of baking beer battered fish fillets, my cookie sheets (non stick) and my toaster oven baking pan (aluminum I think), all have a thick yellow gooey greasy residue. It is so gooey there is no cleaning by scrubbing. I have used a plastic spatula to scrape some off but it looks hopeless. Please help.

By Linda from FL

Answers:

For any pots, pans and baking trays can get a build up of grease. An easy way to remove this is to, cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of powdered detergent and leave for a few hours. This should loosen the baked on baked on grease enough to wash. (04/15/2010)

By kffrmw88

Hi! Sticky yellow grease is icky. Put on your hair-dyeing gloves (or get some really cool ones from the beauty supply store) and mix 3 parts salt and 2 parts white vinegar and scrub, scrub, scrub. Rinse in hot water.

Apply one of those Cascade brand dishwasher packets. Dissolve one in each pan and add boiling water. Let stand for about 30 minutes or so, be sure to cover the water up to the rim of each pan. Remember to wear your gloves!
After, if there is any grease left, use salt and lemon juice to finish. If all else fails, buy new pans. Good luck. (04/16/2010)

By sue123

If you have heavy all metal pans you can leave them in your self cleaning oven and let it do the work for you. Do not try this on your old thin cookie sheets, or you will throw them away as I did. The aluminum heavy cookie sheets and pans came out wonderful, looked like new.

I ran the oven for one hour first to see if that was long enough, another hour for one that was really bad. I have a spill over ring that lives in my oven, I never take it out. It got left by mistake and went through the auto cleaning and looked new, that's how I discovered this. All I have to do is wipe off the ash. I would not try this on teflon or other coated pans. (04/16/2010)

By latrtatr

Scrape of what you can with a spatula, then mix a paste of baking soda, salt and a few drops of liquid dish soap. Spread all over and let it sit for a while, go walk your dog or something. Come back and scrub with your nylon scrubby. This should work and it won't hurt your hands or the finish on non-stick pans. (04/16/2010)

By Deborah570

I'll bet it is a build up of a cooking spray. I have that problem, and never could figure out how to remove it. (04/16/2010)

By Coll3

If it is not aluminum, use Arm and Hammer washing soda. Directions say not to use on aluminum (the soda darkens aluminum pans). (04/16/2010)

By moravice

The baking soda and salt ideas should work, and in the future do what I do to avoid the problem by lining the sheets and pans with aluminum foil. ;-) (04/16/2010)

By Deeli

I have heard that soaking a fabric softner sheet in the pan overnight will loosen the grease so you can just wipe it out. I haven't tried it yet. Foil in the future is a good idea though. Wish I could remember to do it. : ) (04/16/2010)

By eveh

I buy "Greased Lightning." It comes in a spray bottle, spray it on and let it soak overnight. It will take the burned on grease off. (04/18/2010)

By graymare47

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What really works to clean cooked on grease off pans? It seems like I have tried everything, cream of tarter/vinegar, baking soda/vinegar, baking soda/water, Dawn and Ajax.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenSeptember 5, 2013
Mirror
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Leather Jacket
Removing Sticky Residue from Name Tag on Leather Jacket
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 12:10:02 AM on 10.0.2.88 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.