Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Advice For Preventing Dog From Hiding Under Bed

New dog likes to hide under a bed - we need to put something under the bed that will keep him from scooting all the way under it.

I was thinking of large rectangular boxes, but cardboard might attract silverfish (we don't want to start having a problem). Sheets of foam might dry out and crumble (or the dog might shred them). We could go out and buy a bunch of plastic containers, but I'd rather be thrifty!

Suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

By

By Devrie D.01/21/2014

Get some under the bed storage boxes. You gain storage and they loose access.

By Sam01/18/2010

For the people who say let them do it, we are having this problem with our puppy, but he goes under the bed to chew and destroy things. For him it is more of a game, he knows we have trouble getting to him. I don't believe it is entirely safe to just let them go under the bed. In a week he had torn off all of the backing on our mattress. We have had to shut the bedroom door, but in a 1 bedroom apartment this limits our space. I will use the idea of hinges. Thank you.

By Tim (Guest Post)12/28/2008

Well, if you have a 4lb Chihuahua. you don't want them under the bed. Mine likes to poop and urinate underneath there. I'm trying to solve the problem as well. I have a crate with cover,bedding and blanket inside, and skirts so I know its not a din or safety issue. He is very stubborn and doesn't want to potty in his designated area anymore and I take him outside often. He used his spot often when he was younger, but now forget about it.

RE: Advice For Preventing Dog From Hiding Under Bed

By Nicole (Guest Post)10/09/2008

I am familiar with this situation. I have a Chihuahua who likes to take little poops under my bed. I have had to put a bunch of plastic bins under there to keep her from going under there. I really don't know of any other better idea.

By Lacy (Guest Post)09/05/2008

I agree with whoever it was that said dogs are cave animals! We had a problem with our miniature dachshund doing this when I was a kid and my aunt who is a vet reccomended getting the dog a crate. She says that getting a dog a crate full of blankets and covered over with another blanket gives the dog a space of her own in the house, a cave if you would. Put a couple of chews or treats in there with some comfy blankets and always leave the door open...you may find the dog likes it even better than under the bed! Good luck!

By Holly [350]08/23/2008

We solved the problem by placing a large, thin rectangular box under the bed. Then the dog grew too big to hide under the bed. Now he 'hides' under the dining room table.

By martha (Guest Post)08/21/2008

We have a sheltie and we have tried to figure out how to get her to stay out from under the bed so much. For over a year now she just comes out to get something to eat, check on her chickens and to get hot dogs. We don't want to force her to stay out but then it is hard and makes me and my mom feel bad that she stays under the bed so much. We show her all kinds of attention when she is out from under the bed and it does not help.

By Pete (Guest Post)11/25/2007

Dogs are cave animals from way back in their programming. He is ok there. Better to work from the inside of the animal first, meaning, help and allow the confidence, security, familiarity come to the animal. Find ways to work that, rather than drastically changing the environment. The plywood and preventive measures can come later on, but wait just a bit. Work the behavior first, it will be better for the both of you in the long run. Accept it, but if you can't work the training, block the bottom of the bed and move on to the next place the animal will look to for comfort. Additionally, look at the rest of your environment, other animals, noises, etc. I have seen the most couragous of dogs (farm dogs to chase off a hungry coyote), hide from a squawking bird in a cage. Let the animal enjoy its cave.

By leila (Guest Post)11/20/2007

Here is something you might want to try: Measure the length and width of your bed, Then cut plywood to place between the frame and the floor (all around the bed, you can stain the wood before placing it in place). Thus preventing "Rover" from getting under the bed and can serve as a great hiding place for gifts for the holidays and birthdays.

By Rusty (Guest Post)11/20/2007

I made plywood skirts (1/4" thick) and attached them using
hinges. They will swing outward only.

My two Border Collies haven't figured out how to raise them, yet.

By Me (Guest Post)11/20/2007

I agree. Let him hide there. I don't see the harm. You say he's "new" so it's obvious he just needs to become secure in his new home. People should think like a dog instead of a human. It should be about what the dog physically & mentally needs, not what humans think they need. And I too had a dog who always wanted be under something, table or whatever, long after she was new to my home.

By Dana [1]11/20/2007

I agree that you should let him hide under the bed for awhile. Its his way of feeling safe. The best way for him to stop hiding is for him to feel safe in your home, and that takes time. Cardboard boxes or foam might block him from going under the bed, but solutions like that only deal with the symptom and not your dog's underlying insecurities. The cure is to make him feel secure, which will take place over time.

By Dawn [3]11/19/2007

We bought that green indoor/outdoor carpeting and put it under our bed to keep our doggie out from under and from peeing/pooing as well - it cut down on things drastically

By joan pecsek [88]11/19/2007

Get some room spray in smells dogs don't like, such as citrus, and spray it on the floor under your bed.

By fabala11/19/2007

I would personally just let him hide under there for a while. It feels safe to him. He'll probably stop when he gets used to your place. However, I have a dog that has enjoyed sleeping under the bed for years. He just likes it. Maybe try to find him another safe place, such as a box turned on its side or a kennel?