Advice For Preventing Dog From Hiding Under Bed

New dog likes to hide under a bed - we need to put something under the bed that will keep him from scooting all the way under it.

I was thinking of large rectangular boxes, but cardboard might attract silverfish (we don't want to start having a problem). Sheets of foam might dry out and crumble (or the dog might shred them). We could go out and buy a bunch of plastic containers, but I'd rather be thrifty!

Holly from Richardson, TX

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By fabala 11/19/2007

I would personally just let him hide under there for a while. It feels safe to him. He'll probably stop when he gets used to your place. However, I have a dog that has enjoyed sleeping under the bed for years. He just likes it. Maybe try to find him another safe place, such as a box turned on its side or a kennel?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By joan pecsek 88 545 11/19/2007

Get some room spray in smells dogs don't like, such as citrus, and spray it on the floor under your bed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Dawn 5 108 11/19/2007

We bought that green indoor/outdoor carpeting and put it under our bed to keep our doggie out from under and from peeing/pooing as well - it cut down on things drastically

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Dana 1 123 11/20/2007

I agree that you should let him hide under the bed for awhile. Its his way of feeling safe. The best way for him to stop hiding is for him to feel safe in your home, and that takes time. Cardboard boxes or foam might block him from going under the bed, but solutions like that only deal with the symptom and not your dog's underlying insecurities. The cure is to make him feel secure, which will take place over time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Me (Guest Post) 11/20/2007

I agree. Let him hide there. I don't see the harm. You say he's "new" so it's obvious he just needs to become secure in his new home. People should think like a dog instead of a human. It should be about what the dog physically & mentally needs, not what humans think they need. And I too had a dog who always wanted be under something, table or whatever, long after she was new to my home.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Rusty (Guest Post) 11/20/2007

I made plywood skirts (1/4" thick) and attached them using
hinges. They will swing outward only.

My two Border Collies haven't figured out how to raise them, yet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By leila (Guest Post) 11/20/2007

Here is something you might want to try: Measure the length and width of your bed, Then cut plywood to place between the frame and the floor (all around the bed, you can stain the wood before placing it in place). Thus preventing "Rover" from getting under the bed and can serve as a great hiding place for gifts for the holidays and birthdays.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Pete (Guest Post) 11/25/2007

Dogs are cave animals from way back in their programming. He is ok there. Better to work from the inside of the animal first, meaning, help and allow the confidence, security, familiarity come to the animal. Find ways to work that, rather than drastically changing the environment. The plywood and preventive measures can come later on, but wait just a bit. Work the behavior first, it will be better for the both of you in the long run. Accept it, but if you can't work the training, block the bottom of the bed and move on to the next place the animal will look to for comfort. Additionally, look at the rest of your environment, other animals, noises, etc. I have seen the most couragous of dogs (farm dogs to chase off a hungry coyote), hide from a squawking bird in a cage. Let the animal enjoy its cave.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By martha (Guest Post) 08/21/2008

We have a sheltie and we have tried to figure out how to get her to stay out from under the bed so much. For over a year now she just comes out to get something to eat, check on her chickens and to get hot dogs. We don't want to force her to stay out but then it is hard and makes me and my mom feel bad that she stays under the bed so much. We show her all kinds of attention when she is out from under the bed and it does not help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Holly 367 1,264 08/23/2008

We solved the problem by placing a large, thin rectangular box under the bed. Then the dog grew too big to hide under the bed. Now he 'hides' under the dining room table.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lacy (Guest Post) 09/05/2008

I agree with whoever it was that said dogs are cave animals! We had a problem with our miniature dachshund doing this when I was a kid and my aunt who is a vet reccomended getting the dog a crate. She says that getting a dog a crate full of blankets and covered over with another blanket gives the dog a space of her own in the house, a cave if you would. Put a couple of chews or treats in there with some comfy blankets and always leave the door open...you may find the dog likes it even better than under the bed! Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Nicole (Guest Post) 10/09/2008

I am familiar with this situation. I have a Chihuahua who likes to take little poops under my bed. I have had to put a bunch of plastic bins under there to keep her from going under there. I really don't know of any other better idea.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Tim (Guest Post) 12/28/2008

Well, if you have a 4lb Chihuahua. you don't want them under the bed. Mine likes to poop and urinate underneath there. I'm trying to solve the problem as well. I have a crate with cover,bedding and blanket inside, and skirts so I know its not a din or safety issue. He is very stubborn and doesn't want to potty in his designated area anymore and I take him outside often. He used his spot often when he was younger, but now forget about it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sam 01/18/2010

For the people who say let them do it, we are having this problem with our puppy, but he goes under the bed to chew and destroy things. For him it is more of a game, he knows we have trouble getting to him. I don't believe it is entirely safe to just let them go under the bed. In a week he had torn off all of the backing on our mattress. We have had to shut the bedroom door, but in a 1 bedroom apartment this limits our space. I will use the idea of hinges. Thank you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Devrie D. 01/21/2014

Get some under the bed storage boxes. You gain storage and they loose access.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Anastasia S. 07/01/2014

My rescue dog is climbing under the bed and ripping apart the box spring bit by bit. I am desperate for a way to stop her from going under the bed and shredding our box spring. I am considering putting four by fours along the edges of the bed and also considering taping cardboard to the bottom of the bed and seeing if she will defeat that or not. I am desperate for some ideas.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jessica Fishbein F. 05/27/2015

Buy a product called Scat Mat and put it under the bed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Veronica F. 07/12/2015

I do not like it when my dog Max under my bed and I'm trying to find a way to keep him from doing that other than keeping my door shut all the time. Can anybody tell me something I can use to keep him from going under the bed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Paulette H. 08/15/2015

Shut my Aussie is4 now,almost 5 and he sleeps under the bed. Wish he wouldn't because he has a hard time getting out. Haven't figured out how to stop him yet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By rootvetwife 09/07/2015

I have had a female chihuahua for 6 years and every time I put my king bed on the frame she gets under it and poops. =/ She goes outside, but there is something about the bed area that makes her feel she needs to leave little "bombs" all over the place under it. It's really big and heavy, so moving it every day to get to the little gifts is not fun. I think after reading all of the replies, I might just try the idea of making a wooden "skirt" around the frame to keep her from getting under it. It may be harder to do but well worth the result. ;)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No