Smocking Advice

Any smockers available to lend a hand? I am smocking a high back yoke and need to know if I smock across the back or leave a space (center back) to put in the button placket after the smocking is completed? There is no back seam and the smocking is done directly on skirt section (no insert).

Also, when should I remove the pleater threads on a bishop I have completed the smocking on? Before or after applying the neck binding? What about the same on the sleeves; before or after sewing the underarm and side seams.

As you can see I am new at this smocking stuff. Embroidery by hand and sew everyday but just learning the smocking - loving every minute of it.

Thanks,
Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

You may have gotten an answer to your questions by not--or have just on and finished the best you could. When smocking the back of a yoked dress I leave 3 pleats in the middle of the back unsmocked. That gives room to cut and insert a placket. Then I put buttons on the yoke.

As for the pleating threads on the bishop. I remove all but top two rows (I always pleat one row near top and do cable on it with 2 threads to hold pleats in place--this ends up under the bias). I remove those last two just before putting the bias strip on.

Smocking
Smocking Tips and Tricks
Crafts SewingMay 9, 2006
Master gardener in a greenhouse.
Get Gardening Advice From a Master Gardener
Bathroom Tiles
Bathroom Tile Color Advice
A business suit with a white shirt and red tie.
Saving Money on Men's Suits
girl in a summer dress
Repairing Elastic Smocking on a Dress
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 11:48:59 AM on 10.0.2.254 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.