Card Safety At The Gas Pump

Use the clear button after you get your receipt when pumping gas at the gas station. It should be on the bottom left hand side. A dishonest employee could possibly use the stored info you leave at the pump if you don't. This has happened before to other people. I am going to start pushing the clear button from now on.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

So sorry Robyn but this is an Urban Legend. The second and third links have information about the details of why this isn't true:

You should always use your debit card as a charge card not a debit card at gas stations. I had a friend who always used her's as a debit and someone got her numbers. Her bank told her to always use it as a charge because it is harder to get the numbers and they told her exactly why but sorry I can't remember exactly why. You could talk with your bank and they can tell you!

Teresa Kay, the reason to use your debit card as credit (not just at gas stations but everywhere) is because there's no chance of someone seeing your PIN number and especially if there's a crooked employee.

There are also scammers who secretly install a skimmer scanner over the regular card scanner to collect the card number. Unfortuneatly not all stores or gas stations have scanners with the debit or credit choice function.

Oh, and one other reason to not use the PIN is because some banks charge for each PIN transaction.

I am happy to think this cannot happen this way, unfortunately, when there is an unauthorized gas fill up and the person drives off, the people who work there are supposed to hit the clear button. Dishonest ones, and I know this for a fact, regardless of what snopes says, will not clear the last fill up if it is not paid for, so you would end up paying for the person who was a drive off if you don't hit clear before you fill up. Maybe the machines are different now in some places and it is impossible to get stuck with a previous charge, guess what I am hitting the clear button before and after.

You can believe what you want about the other things, I prefer my info to be double cleared.

Also I am considering starting to pay for gas just with cash, so many things to consider. :)

The gas station I frequent now has a request to put in your zip code when you are using your card. This is a new security measure. I am so glad when at the store, and I am paying with a debit card, that people ask me for my ID when checking me out at the store. The other day I dropped my card and an honest food city employee kept it and we went to pick it up later. I appreciate honesty so much, don't you?

I do this but since the screen remains the same, how does one know it's been cleared?

Preventing Identity Theft, Thief in mask on Computer
Preventing Identity Theft
Budget & Finance Credit CardsApril 4, 2011
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Pump Bottle
Reusing Pump Bottles
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding