Terra Cotta Garden Birdbath

I just wanted to show my bird bath. I got the idea from one of your readers on Thrifty.com. I think it turned out quite nicely.

By ragteller from Tofield, AB

Editor's Note: The original project is archived below.

What did you use as a base?? I have a terra cotta tray part but I don't have anything for a stand and I don't wanna use glass.

We are going to try this one. I love the idea, and we have plenty of pots and trays already-I only have to buy the caulking!!

Oh my gosh it is so neat, but by sealer what do you mean I cant wait to try it Linda

what a clever idea

OH, SHERI! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL AND CLEVER IDEA. THIS IS A PROJECT THAT CAN BE DONE WITH KIDS ... AND SO MANY FOLKS ARE LOOKING FOR PROJECTS THAT OLDER KIDS WOULD LIKE TO DO THEMSELVES.

IF YOU NEED A SPECIAL GIFT FOR A FRIEND, IT WOULD BE FUN TO GET EVERYTHING IN ADVANCE AND DO THE PROJECT TOGETHER OVER SEVERAL VISITS.

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS ARTFULLY DONE SCULPTURE WITH US ... THE PHOTO IS GREAT!

PEACE AND GOD BLESS YOU - JOAN E. - DILLEY TX

Super! I love it.

Joan E. is right, what a wonderful project for older kids ...perfect for up coming Mother's day.

Thanks so much for the picture! I can't wait to get home, into my shed. I know I have lots of pots just waiting to be discovered.

Good question from Linda, what sealer did you use that works well in the outdoor elements?

Instead of water because of the mosquito population, I could use it as a bird feeder too.

What a lovely idea - how clever you are!

Just one thing..... aren't the birds frightened away by the toad in yours?

Ribbit, Monique :p

I really love how that project came out. I love painting. I made a smaller version of that. I can't wait until my next day off from work so I can make a bigger one for my yard.

Just love this idea, any thing that looks cottagey is for me. Greetings from the UK. Thought you may like to see my garden pond in the winter complete with Victoria and Albert under lamp post

Dreamalong

Can't wait to try this project. It looks like a lot of fun.

I really like it. But I am afraid the cats that live around here would knock it down. They jump on the one I have and knock it over.

Congratulations on winning this week. I really love your creation!

jewellz

What sealer did you use? Still love the idea!

What a great idea! I'm going to try this for my yard this year!

I love this! I picked up everthing I needed today. LOL My mother had a ceramic shop, at one time, and I was wondering if the same kind of sealer is the one that you used. Its a high gloss. I also believe that, in time, the sealer may come off and it would need to be re-sealed. Thanks! Yours is beautiful!

What did you use for the base? It looks so cool.

I saw your idea a month ago and suggested it to my Grdaughter for a 4H project. We just finished doing 2 of them (hers and one for me) and she is entering hers in the Fair in Md this year! A wonderful project that we enjoyed doing together...thanks for sharing it. Gigi

Sheri, I hope you keep an eye on this feedback space since I would like to hear from you about a question that I have. I discovered the hard way what paint NOT to use on this project since mine ran when I put water in it. Did you use acrylic paint for the entire project? I also used a sealer, (4 coats)which didn't seem to help either. If you could email me I would really appreciate it....Gigi

Absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to try one!

How do you make the "Terra Cotta Garden Birdbath? Is it hard? What kind of paint is used? Do you use a sealer? Help!

These are beautiful but are the paints and sealers nontoxic you don't want to use anything that will make the birds sick.

June 26, 2009 Flag

Terra Cotta Garden Birdbath
Terra Cotta Garden Birdbath
You can choose what size terra cotta pots and trays you want to use. Glue them together with clear caulking, let dry at least 24 hours. Whitewash with thinned out white acrylic paint. Let dry about an hour, then paint what ever you want on it, or just blend paints, that is also nice. I liked the leaves and frogs on mine. It is really whatever you like. Let it dry 24 hours then spray with sealer. You really should let it dry 24 hours then spray again and let dry another 24 hours. Fill and watch the birds play in it.

By Sheri from Stockton, CA

Finished birdbath.
Flower Pot Bird Bath
Crafts Garden & YardJune 26, 2009
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Terra Cotta Pots
Cleaning Terra Cotta Pots
terra cotta flower pot person
Crafts Using Terra Cotta Flower Pots
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
🎉
🎄