Cleaning Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

Despite its permanent nature, this type of marker can be removed from many surfaces using the right products and techniques. This is a guide about cleaning permanent marker on a vinyl floor.

January 27, 2010 Flag

How do I remove a Sharpie permanent marker stain from a vinyl kitchen floor?

By Paul from The Villages, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Although not normally found in your cupboard there is a product called PEC-12. Google to find it or stop at your local photostore. This product it used to clean permanent maker or inks from photos. I works great. Does not work on water soluble ink. I buy this by the quart as I use it in my business. You can buy it in a 4 oz bottle. I can't believe the items saved by this product. I've used it on counter tops, metal, plastics, etc.

Best Answer

I am a housecleaner, and I have had good luck removing permanent marker by going over it with a dry erase marker and immediately wiping both of them up. It has worked on formica countertops for me. Always try in an inconspicuous place.

Best Answer

Try using rubbing alcohol or hairspray on the stain. Works for me.

Best Answer

WD-40 works well. Spray on mark, rub, then wipe up.

Have you tried an SOS pad? I've used one in the past on Sharpie and it did the trick. Be careful not to scrub too hard.

Give a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser a whirl. I swear by those things as they'll get rid of just about anything.

Insta Lift spray. This spray may be purchased at Menards. It took the red sharpie marker off of our linoleum in the kitchen.

As others have said, the isop alcohol and nail polish remover did nothing. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser did the trick, with a little scrubbing.

It doesnt work on my kitchen floor injust tryed it

What i found works is good old green scourer with hot soapy water came off instantly

October 22, 2010 Flag

My two year old decided she wanted to color all over the kitchen floor with blue permanent marker. We have tried everything: Comet, bleach, Magic Eraser, finger nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, bug spray "OFF", hairspray, and peroxide. Nothing is working. Anyone got any other ideas?

By Kristy from Slidell, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My three year old son had the exact same artistic juices flowing your daughter had, only mine used black permanent marker on very light beige flooring. Our problem was we didn't have a chance to try to clean it up right away so it was really set in! First, we used a steam mop--no good. Then we used a Magic Eraser (which worked beautifully on the crayon and permanent marker he decided to use on my wood surfaces!), no good. then I tried something called "Everything and the Kitchen Sink" which is all natural and not abrasive. Also, no good. Then I went to this website and another website where I found the most impossibly easy solution to the problem, and it worked! Whitening toothpaste!! We used Crest Whitening toothpaste with Scope, a scotch brite sponge (the scratchy side), hot water and a little bit of elbow grease and it came up in no time. I couldn't believe it! And, our kitchen now smells minty fresh to boot! :-)

Best Answer

Had my three year old mark my vinyl floor this morning with black permanant marker and the only thing that worked leaving no marks behind was: Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Foam for Shower. I was amazed!

Did you try the hand gel yet? You might also try "goof off". Good luck!

I have used Shaklee's Liquid At Ease to get permanent marker off floors and counter tops. It works really well. It is expensive, but a bottle lasts a long time.

WD40? It is supposed to be good for all sorts of things. Only try a small spot at first though, as it is very smelly, and also a lubricant, so it will make the floor slippery. I haven't tried it, but it was all I could think of. Permanent marks are called "permanent" for a reason, aren't they!

I used to sell flooring. The best thing to do is call the manufacturer. If they cannot tell you then it might be under warranty (obviously crayon wouldn't) and if you use other things to get stains out it may void the warranty. You could also patch the space if you have some left over vinyl. Good luck.

Wd40

Thank you!!

October 22, 2010 Flag

One of my toddlers got a hold of my permanent sharpie blue marker. I now have a beautiful blue design on my floor. I have tried using nail polish remover, OOPS, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with no luck. Any ideas?

Janet from VA

Answers:

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

Give bug spray a try. You may need to spray it on a couple times. I have used this many times, but would like to hear if it is working for others. (06/20/2005)

By CRMom

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

Somewhere on this website I remember reading a tip to use Purell hand sanitizer gel to remove ink marks from a vinyl doll face. It might be worth a try. They sell little bottles of it for a dollar in the check out display at WalMart. (06/20/2005)

By Grandma Margie

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

I just used bug spray on my hardwood floors and it worked on the permanent marker! Thanks for the info, it saved my floor! (07/27/2005)

By Elizabeth

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

I don't even believe it, but that hand sanitizer gel got the bright red marker off the floor. Thank you very much. (08/24/2005)

By Tina

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser spared my daughter's life. We tried everything from Goof Off, nail polish remover, WD-40, etc. and nothing budged it. The Magic Eraser did the trick when she colored with a Sharpie marker on our vinyl floor while we were trying to sell our house. (09/08/2006)

By Tracy

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

Thank you! Thank you! We just put in new lino and this morning my daughter got dry erase marker on it. I checked out this site and thanks to your advice, I was able to remove it. I used OFF!. Just spray it on and let it sit a few minutes and with a little elbow grease, it comes off! Thanks. (01/16/2008)

By Brenda D

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsJanuary 3, 2017
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
Blue Jeans
Removing Permanent Marker on Jeans
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 8, 2017 at 9:34:41 AM on 10.0.2.33 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.