Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning and Polishing Leather with Banana Peels

Stop buying leather/shoe polish. To clean, buff or moisturize leather/pleather/vinyl or any shiny outerwear use a banana peel. Simply rub the inside of a banana peel over the item to be cleaned and buff with a soft cloth.

I have done this to my husband's motorcycle gear and it takes off dust, dead bugs, and buffs out small scuffs and scratches. I have also used it on kids shoes, purses, suitcases etc. It does work and no messy polish it deal with. I have heard that it works with potato peels too but have not tried that yet.

By Princesshammerhead from Saskatchewan, Canada

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By jeanne [5]06/02/2010

Does it leave a smell or a greasy feel?

By Laura Lynn Jump [9]02/11/2010

I have a leather couch and love seat I am going to try this on. I will let you know how it comes out.

By ace07/19/2008

Is it very effective?
How to use banana feel as shoe shine?
pls. help me.tnx.this is my yahoo aceglen_03@yahoo.com

Solutions: Cleaning and Polishing Leather with Banana Peels

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Banana Peels for Cleaning Shoes

My oldest son being flat footed and my middle son being a toe walker, their shoes get more scuffed than a normal very active boy. They also attend a private Christian school where there is a uniform policy. With mornings being extremely crazy anyway, I certainly do not have time to buff or polish shoes. This is particularly true, especially since we spend a big part of each morning looking for them, saving time is a must!

I had tried many different things, but I always was running late, with a job looking halfway finished for each boys shoes. My mom had told me a suggestion a long time ago which I thought was nuts. One morning being extremely rushed, all I had time to fix for breakfast along with making two lunches was cereal with banana. I remembered my mom's idea. I grabbed the banana peel and got to work, rubbing the inside of the peel on the outside of each pair of shoes. I grabbed a dishcloth and buffed it off. Amazingly the scuffs, dirt, and questionable marks were gone.

Now I had to admit to my mom she was once again right! Laughing she said, her grandmother had told her this when I started walking. She went on to say, that while her grandmother was at the salon getting her hair set, she had read it in a magazine. Bananas are not only a fast meal, they can also clean your shoes in a second. Try it, your mother may have known this also.

By Mistie from Baton Rouge, LA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.