Green Stuff Appearing In Ice Cubes

A painter had to move my refrigerator to paint my kitchen. After moving it back the copper pipe sprung a leak. The painter stopped the leak by breaking off the pipe at the point of the leak and reconnecting it. He showed me green stuff inside the piece of pipe he broke off.

Now the green stuff is appearing within the ice cubes. It was not in the cubes before this incident. Why is this? I don't want to call the painter because he was only problems, even though I had three so called good references on him.

Elizabeth from Tallahassee, FL

It just might be time to get that hose replaced. it sounds like some kind of mold from setting water. I don't know if mold can get inside a hose like that but that is what I would do. You might be able to do it your self.

SOUNDS LIKE MINERAL DEPOSITS FROM WATER THAT RUNS THRU PIPE. THEY BUILD UP ON PIPES. BEST ADVICE CALL A PROFESSION APPLIANCE TECH IN TO HELP YOU. HE WILL PROBABLY NEED TO REPLACE THAT COPPER TUBING.

You can get a new flexible hose for around $24. It is a very simple do it your self project.

In my county, it is now against the building code to use the copper tubing for frig and ice connections for this reason. In fact, our house has no copper piping at all for this reason.

The green color is cuprous oxide, copper oxide. Copper garden ornaments turn a nice green color called verdigris, vair-de-gree, and that's all it is. Iron rusts red, copper rusts green.

Most likely you have acidic water which is breaking down your copper pipes. Over time, the pipes may develop small pin holes. We had this problem and it was recommended that we install a water neutralizer. The green in the ice will probably go away in time. The pipe was disturbed and the water line will eventually be flushed out. I was told by a water biologist that this "green" is not harmful to people, but it is harmful to copper pipes. You can get your water tested by a reliable company that sells water neutralizers. Most of them will test your water for free but of course, they want you to purchase their product.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances FreezerJune 5, 2008
A chunk of stuck together ice cubes.
Keeping Ice Cubes from Sticking
Icemaker Ice
Icemaker Not Dumping Ice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
🎉
🎄