Painting Concrete

I have a concrete porch that needs repainting. What kind of cleaner can I use to wash it? I also have heard that if you wash it down with vinegar after the cleaning, the paint will adhere better and last longer. Has anyone heard of this?

Judy from OH

Get some TSP from the paint dept. of your store. It's inexpensive but, cleans great. I can't remember what the initials are for the letters are usually on the box.

Hi. We have done this a few times. You will get the best results by using a product called muriatic acid. You can get it at places like Home Depot or paint stores. It is a mild, acidic cleaner - stronger than vinegar. The main advantage is that it also mildly etches the cement so that it receives and holds the paint when you put it on. You will get much less peeling later if you do this. I would also recommend that you use a marine-type paint as it is much more weather and water resistant than typical outdoor concrete paints.

You can go to Home Depot and they have all the products need to paint concrete in their paint dept.

TSP which means Trisodium Phosphate is also sold under the Mr Clean label from I believe Proctor and Gambel. While this product may clean it would not be used as the etchng materials needed to paint concrete.

Just a warning to anyone who chooses to use muratic acid. I would not casually refer to it being in the same category as vinegar! Please read the warnings on the jug and follow instructions for using it carefully. I have used it numerous times and it works well, BUT...........even though I was using it properly outdoors the wind changed direction suddenly and blew the fumes into my face. It burned my eyes, nose, throat and lungs. Had I been frail or in bad health the out come would not have been good. After a few days my eyes, nose and throat seemed okay but I suspect I did damage my lungs to some degree. Just be careful!

Get a garage floor painting kit -- works great and looks great! (but I didnt use the little flecks that came with it)

I want to paint a concrete bench (Cemetery bench). Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of paint will produce a glossy finish and withstand the weather (ie.. not peel, chip, dull, etc)?

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingMay 15, 2007
Slippery When Wet Concrete
Solution for Slippery Concrete
An old painted concrete floor.
Painting Concrete Floors
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Cans of different colored paint.
Painting a Concrete Foundation
🎄