Cat Playhouse From Recycled Boxes

My Mom has a cat and she loves to crawl into boxes and other things to hide. I have this idea in my head about making her a cat condo or playhouse. I have some large boxes that I will be using. I'm not sure yet if I am going to paper them or leave them brown, and just make some colored shutters on the windows. I am going to cut out a door and some windows.

One box will be stacked on top of the other one with one flap cut off each box. I am going to glue the other ones together to make it sturdy for her to land on. For the top, I am going to glue the flaps shut and cover with another piece of cardboard for strength. That way she will be able to jump on the top and lay if she wants to. I know she is going to love her new playhouse.

By Tricia from Ridgeway, VA

What a fantastic idea! I have a cat who will love having one of those too!

One suggestion tho. I'd put one box one either side that is standing upright (either up or down doesn't matter). This will give the playhouse stability. With the cat jumping in and out and playing, cardboard boxes aren't really very sturdy. But I'm thinking if we put one on either side that is upright, as tall as the stack is, then that should do the trick.

Unfortunately for me I don't have any tall ones tho, so I'm going to have to do some thinking on what else to use.

But I do love your idea! And so will my cat!

It would be great to see it when it is finished. I hope you will post it on thriftyfun so we can all enjoy the finished product.

I made a playhouse for my cats out of boxes too. It is so much fun watching them play and hide in them and when they get worn out, you can toss it and make another. I find that cats don't need expensive toys and things to make them happy, just a little imagination and creativity works so well and you enjoy what you're doing also. I know your Mom will love your project when your done with it, so will her kitty.

We also did this for our cats. It is now plopped in the middle of our living room. The cats just love it. We cut out windows and a little trap door they can go in and out of. There is always someone inside of it.

Making Your Own Cat Tree, Photo of a homemade cat tree.
Making Your Own Cat Tree
Better Living Green Living ReusingMarch 30, 2010
Two story backyard playhouse.
Building an Outdoor Playhouse
Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes
children playing in a playhouse made from a table and blanket
Indoor Playhouse Ideas
🎄