Box Fan Filters

Just picked up some clever filters for my box fans from the thrift shop - They are shaped like large shower caps and made out of a "pellon" material. You put them on the BACK sides of the fans to use as a filter. (I am going to wash them until they fall apart!) Reminds me that I used to put cheese cloth on my fans to filter them - sewing the sheets together loosely to fit and taping them on. Thinking about what I could put on my round house fans. Something out of panty hose?

Aha! a P.S. to my earlier tip about fan "filters." Inspired, I fiddled around with a round fan and found that by sacrificing a pair of light-colored control top panty hose, cutting off the legs, I could insert the body of the round fan and put the panty hose waistband around the round fan in the back. (The leg holes folded up around the fan's shaft, facing back.) This forms an adequate "filter" for my urban fan - which really gets dirty with greasy city dust. If you want to make it tidier, I suppose you could sew up the edges in the back neatly - but my fan faces a back window, so I didn't bother.

Fantastic idea - thanks for sharing - Wonder if this would also work for heat registers. What is sold in stores is too small to fit my registers! JoanDogs

I wouldn't recommend pantyhose on heat filters due to heat problems - (altho I have used cheese cloth in the past) - For heat vents, I have used bought filters, which I cut down or fastened outside with metallic pipe tape - which seem resistant to the heat.And of course, change your furnace filters & get good allergy filters for the furnace!

Why couldn't you just buy some pellon to make new filters? You can get it at Wal-Marts in the sewing department. It's called interfacing. Just be careful not to get the iron-on kind. Like you said, since pellon's washable, they'd last a long time.

For heat registers... cut a piece of ordinary that non-metal screening to fit each one. Remove the metal grating and install the screening between it and the flooring around the opening. Re-attach vent. This works very well for catching debris. It also provides a barrier against any 'beasties' that might somehow crawl into the venting system on its way into my home. If you wanted more air filtering, i'd recommend a piece of pellon, cheese cloth or small pieces of air conditioner venting material. It will fit in between the screen and vent.

OR you could just buy em! They still sell for about $3.99 at Hardwareandtools.com

Home and Garden Home Improvement CoolingSeptember 7, 2006
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Beautiful coffee filter flowers in jars fiilled with rocks
Crafts Using Coffee Filters
furnace air filter
Reusing Air Cleaner Filters
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan
🎄