How Do You Sew A Shrug?

How do you sew a shrug?

butchieb from Nokomis, FL

I think they're knitted....

You can buy this pattern. It has lots of way to sew shrugs, capes & capelets: (just cut the bottom "body" area of of view A & sew the bottom shut & you'll have a clasic long sleve shrug.

I've sewn LOTS of shrugs because I don't often have the time to knit or crochet them. Stretch fabric works WAY better than woven fabric does. I like to buy enough stretch fabric to make a long sleeve shrug to go with any short sleeve tops I may make, That way they can go from summer to winter clothes in a flash! What I do is take a piece of stretch fabric (It doesn't really matter which way the stretch goes, but on a long sleeve shrug, it's usually better to cut it the opposite way than you normally would, this way the stretch will be across the sleeves & arms. For a long sleeve shrug (see picture) measure how many inches it is from one wrist across to the other wrist with your arms spread wide. (or measure a long sleeve shirt) this is how long you need you fabric to be. (add seam allowance) You'll have to figure out how long you want it to be starting at you neck to how ever long you want it. Take that (lengthe) measurement & add about 3 or 4 inches for ease. Then you basically fold it into quarters & draw on you fabric with chalk you cutting lines. The shrug will start skinny at the wrist on each side then get larger untill its' the size of your upper arms & shoulders at the shoulder area you leave that part open for your body to fit through. Short sleeve shrugs are even easier.

I gotta run now, but I know I didn't explain myself correctly so write me here on ThriftyFun with any questions.

Here's a pattern from "Modest Prom" to sew a WOVEN FABRIC $5 shrug:

There are patterns on different websites like HGTV or DIY, do-it-yourself. Just Google shrug patterns and see what you get.

Quick n dirty: Salvage an old long-sleeved T-shirt or sweatshirt.

-Cut off the sleeve cuffs to make 3/4 sleeves (unless you want to keep 'em).

-Cut out the neck ribbing, also cutting a deep, narrow V shape down the front, being sure to cut out ~10" for ties (or a space for button or frogs, etc.). *

-Next, cut off waistband ribbing (and cut bottom edge of shrug to desired finished length plus enough to hem under). *

* (You can leave ties raw underneath or cut matching pieces from excess waist material and face them, then turn inside out.)

-Hem all raw edges and embellish with bits of lace, buttons, iron-on patches, etc.

-Have fun!

Chill Chaser Shrug Back
Chill Chaser Shrug Patterns
Crafts SewingMarch 21, 2008
Singer Stitch Sew Quick
Singer Stitch Sew Quick Reviews
A sewing machine foot with pink thread sewing pink fabric.
Learning How to Sew
A mom teacher her daughter to sew.
Teaching a Child to Sew
Orange Curtains
Making No-Sew Curtains or Shades