"Please Ask For ID" On Back of Credit Cards

I used to sign the back of my credit cards with my signature until I had my purse stolen. It had "everything in it" (all my credit cards, social security card, etc.), so I had to block all cards immediately! The companies issued all new ones. On the "new cards", instead of signing my signature on the back, I put "ASK FOR ID" and it works fine for me. I don't believe a thief would try using these.

By roadrouser from Atlantic, VA

With your social security card having been stolen, did you file a fraud alert with the credit bureaus too? A thief with your SS number can do horrific damage.

To file a fraud alert, contact one of the three credit reporting bureaus. Once one of them has been notified, they are required to notify the others.

Equifax: 1-877-576-5734; www.alerts.equifax.com

Experian: 1-888-397-3742; www.experian.com/fraud

TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com

You can get a free copy of all three credit reports once a year at www.annualcreditreport.com (this is the official site set up after the law changed to require free credit reports be issued to consumers once per year). This will let you know if any new accounts have been opened in your name.

For more information on identity theft see the Federal Trade Commission site: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/data/idt.shtm

You still are not out of the woods. There are many machines that use the magnetic strip and don't need verification. ATM, gas pumps, self check out lines to name a few. And many retail places have you swipe your own card and never ask to look at your signature, Walmart, Kroger and Target to name a few. Also, a business that does check your card has the right to refuse your card because it is not endorsed. The argument is if you didn't sign it and a business had to go to court with the credit card company getting involved then the credit card company can say the business had no right to take the card because there was no legal ly binding signature.

You are actually better off putting credit cards somewhere safe until you need them then carry them in your pocket instead of your purse or wallet. I keep my card hid in my vehicle for emergencies. When I know I am going to need it I put it in my pocket, usually a shirt pocket so there is no chance of it falling out accidentally or it getting "picked".

Actually they can use the card to order on the internet. Most stolen credit cards are used this way.

I agree with the first feedback. I put that on my credit cards and it didn't matter. So many places don't even require a signature. Someone stole my card and Citibank is investigating and I had written"ask for I.D." on the back of it. I just leave them at home now. I think I may cut all of them up, but one.

Our local post office has a sign stating that they will not accept CID ("See ID") credit cards, so this won't always work depending on where you shop.

My purse was stolen too. I know the hassle you went through. I now sign the backs of ALL card. "SEE PHOTO ID". I make a point of thanking all clerks who actually take the time to check and then follow through with asking for photo id. I always let manager know how helpful the clerk was in doing their job.

I would also advise anyone not to carry your social security card. You should keep it locked in a safe or safety deposit box. Take it out only when you need to physically show the card, like when being hired for a new job. Then put it back immediately in its safe place.

I did the same thing, put ask for ID on back. Not too many paid attention. In one store, the young lady rang it up and I asked her to look at the back of the card. She asked me what it meant and I told her that she was supposed to ask me for ID to verify. All she said was "oh" looked at me like I had 2 heads and kept on going. So much for expecting great service!

I feel I must tell you, having worked for a bank for 25 years that writing see ID or CID on the back of your card does very little, If anything. 99 our of 100 cashier's don't ask or look. The one that may is likely only doing it because its store policy, they don't even look at the name on the ID or the Card. Frightening I know! ...And for those that don't sign their card "for protection" here is some food for thought. What if the thief signs it and then the signature matches so no need for ID. Not to mention that the few that get asked for ID for their own protection actually get snippy because they have to dig out their ID. I understand you had an unfortunate incident but your best protection is to sign your card and report it missing as quickly as possible so that you are not liable for any of the charges.

I agree that putting "see ID" on the back of your credit card does no good. I used to work for Kohls and we were required to ask that and to always look at the credit card and compare sigs with license. Of course it didn't always work because of the reasons stated by the first feedback.

That's a great idea. I wish every cashier was required to get ID when accepting a check, credit card and also a check card before it is run through the machine.

Preventing Identity Theft, Thief in mask on Computer
Preventing Identity Theft
Better Living SafetyFebruary 18, 2011
A stack of credit cards.
Cleaning Uses for Old Credit Cards
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
A stack of credit cards.
Cleaning Uses for Old Credit Cards
Credit Report on Table
Raising Your Credit Score
🎄