Restoring a Mahogany Leaf Table

I recently acquired a mahogany leaf table and It needs to be restored. It has surface scratches and gouges through to the surface wood and shows light beige binder tracking along the edges. I would like to sand or strip but don't know if I have enough surface to work with. Should I sand or chemical strip? And what procedure should I follow to bring the table back toward its original display. Any assistance is welcomed.

William from New Jersey

Answers

Sand using an electric hand sander and only with the grain of the wood. It will go really quickly. Use 80 grit sandpaper to start. The lower the number on the sand paper, the tougher the grit. You will use 100 grit sand paper for the final pass of the sander. If you spit on the table and you like the color (this is the color it will dry when you put the polyurethane on it) then your ready to put the polyurethane on. If not, you can stain with mahagony stain, and then polyurethane. You lightly hand sand between coats of the polyurethane, (using 100 grit sand paper) and the more coats the richer the finish. It will turn out beautiful, I promise you.

Home and Garden Repair FurnitureApril 9, 2006
damage to chard leaf
Controlling Leaf Miners
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Mahogany Cabinet Door
Refinishing Mahogany Furniture
marble top
Repairing or Restoring A Marble Table Top
🎉
🎄