Pickle Juice for Heartburn

I found the best remedy for heartburn. When you gets heartburn open the fridge and get a jar of pickles Take one or two tablespoons of the juice and swallow it. In just a few seconds the burning will stop.

By Verna N. from Walton, Indiana

By pickle juice, I assume you mean the vinegary brine that comes with jars of pickles -- and not the liquid of cucumbers or pickles that have been run through a juicer.

If you do mean the vinegary brine, I have serious doubts that it will work. Heartburn is caused by excess acid in the stomach. That's why an antacid is used to relieve symptoms. Alkaline substances like baking soda neutralizes the acid which is irritating your stomach (Alkaline is the opposite of acid on the pH scale).

Adding an acidic substance like vinegar to heartburn is like adding fuel to a fire.

I don't know if it works for heart burn but I do know that pickle juice (from a store bought jar of pickles) will stop leg cramps almost immediately. When you get a bad cramp, just drink some pickle juice! My husband swears by it!

I also agree, this could be very dangerous for your health. If you took vinegar brine juice from the jar and don't know what created the heart burn, or have an unknown cause, you could rupture and ulcer, or something worse. GERD or the regular heartburn sensory is a symptom that should not be ignored. I had a friend who lost his life to esophagel cancer, and the one symptom was heart burn.

This is a perfect fix, I think. When I have heartburn I take vinegar tablets; same principal. Heartburn is actually a lack if acids in the stomach; Tums say they neutralize the acid and they do! Which doesn't help digest the food in your stomach. Great idea!

metroplex wrote"

"Heartburn is actually a lack if acids in the stomach; Tums say they neutralize the acid and they do! Which doesn't help digest the food in your stomach."

I don't understand your reply because it contradicts itself. If "heartburn is actually a lack of [sic] acids in the stomach," why then would you take Tums to "neutralize the acid"? Why would you have to neutralize something you don't have? Regardless, as a medical researcher, if would be irresponsible if I didn't correct you.

No, heartburn is not the lack of acid in the stomach. The opposite is true. Heartburn is caused by an excess of acid, or acid splashing above the stomach, irritating the tissue above. That's why you'd neutralize (aka "negate") the acid with an antacid like Tums.

Since excess acid is the problem, adding more acid in the form of vinegar simply makes no sense. Ask your physician. As I originally posted, ingesting vinegar for heartburn is like adding fuel to the fire. Basically, you're adding more acid to the acid that is already irritating you.

Here's how WebMD defines heartburn (acid reflux):

"Technically, heartburn is the symptom you feel when acid splashes up and out of the stomach. "Heartburn" is sometimes used interchangeably with "acid reflux.""

http://www.webm  formation-causes