How Long Should I Wait to Re-dye My Hair?

I colored my hair and thought it would come out dark auburn, but it just looks dark brown. Can I color it again with a red to make it more auburn? Can I do it right away or do I have to wait?

My sister kept coloring her hair different color browns every few days because she didn't like the shade and it turned green! I definitely don't want green! Thanks to anyone who can help me!

By Scubalover from Orange, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Did you use permanent or washout? Wash out: I suggest washing most of it out before re-dyeing (kids shampoo usually rinses the color out fast). Permanant: Uh-oh...tricky. I have found lightening your hair doesn't always work out. I don't want to worry you but you may have to bleach/go lighter it to get the right color now. And then re-dye. Good luck. I hope you don't have to go to the salon. I had to get black stripped out of my hair once and it was so expensive.

You should wait 2 weeks to re-dye. Since Auburn is a red color it will fade gradually with each wash. Red is not a good color to dye with because it does not hold well.

Wait! Too much dye can make your hair brittle and fragile. Just wear it up for two weeks. You'll be fine- I've had worse :/

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

May 7, 2009 Flag

Recently I got an olive oil perm and color the same day but the color did not take. In fact around my temples, where I am gray, my hair turned almost gold. How long do I have to wait to color my hair?

Barbara from Pembroke Pines, Florida

Answers:

How long should I wait to re-dye my hair?

You should always wait one week between coloring and perming at least! I would recommend 10 days to 2 weeks if you are really grey. Try washing your hair with bar soap to tone down the color of the dye for a week or so (bar soap on wet hair really scrub it in then regular shampoo and conditioner). It sounds crazy but it takes the brassiness out. (02/16/2009)

By CJ

What is an olive oil perm? I've never heard of it. What color did you dye your hair? It is OK everywhere else, but the temples where you are gray? I wouldn't color all over. You can get a touch-up kit. I like Revlon Colorsilk Root Perfect and Clairol makes a touch up, too. Just look around a drugstore carefully, they are in the same section as hair dye. (02/16/2009)

By OliveOyl

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and who ever gave you the perm should not have colored your hair the same day as the perm. The rule of thumb is to wait one week before receiving a second chemical treatment such as a hair color. (02/16/2009)

By MCW

Two hours is enough. (02/17/2009)

I've been a licensed Cosmetologist since 1972 and I agree with MCW. You might want to re-think using this hairstylist again because having done two chemical processes in one day is unprofessional and/or greedy.

If it's been a week or two since these processes it should be okay to repair the color now. Just be sure someone who is a color specialist does it and that they are aware of what has already been done. (02/17/2009)

By Deeli

A woman having her hair dyed.
Re-Dyeing Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringMay 7, 2009
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 5:04:08 AM on 10.0.2.184 in 649 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.