How Long Should I Wait to Re-dye My Hair?

Category Coloring
Re-dyeng your hair too soon can sometimes damage your hair. This is a guide about, "How long should I wait to re-dye my hair?".

Yesterday I purchased a product from the shopping centre that was supposed to strip my hair. I washed it out and I ended up blonde which is odd because I have never been blonde in my life. I don't like the colour at all and want to change it back to brown how long should I wait to do so?

Four weeks minimum if you want to have damage-free strands

I would wait two weeks and deep condition with every shampoo.

I bleached and colored my hair about 2 weeks ago. My natural hair color is light brown and I went dark red. I've decided I don't like it. I want to bleach and color my hair again. This time I want to go a purplish red. My question is; should I wait and how long should I wait if so?
Thank you in advance.

Wait 2 weeks at minimum. Deep condition each shampoo and the night before you color again.

4 weeks for no damage

I am going to dye my hair this week, but I want to know how many days should I wait to add the other color?

I would wait at least 2 weeks and deep condition weekly

I've dyed my hair and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. I've read online that it's not safe to redye your hair because it may damage it. But since redying it isn't healthy can I do a semi-permanent hair coloring 2 days after I've dyed it?

You are better off deep conditioning until your hair is in better shape and then recoloring in a month.

Friend Girl, when I gave it up as a hair burner, you probably were in diapers. I still like to learn, sometimes just for the sake of learning. So tell me, with the average thickness of the human hair somewhere around 0.08 mm, just how deep can you condition it? I mean if you go deeper than 0.04 mm, the stuff is gonna start oozing out the other side.

Just sayin'

So I bleached my hair and it's been four days. Is it okay if I dye it back to brown or do I have to wait a couple more days? If so, how long do I have to wait?

You should deep condition for a month and then color again.

Let your hair have time to recuperate for at least a week and deep condition your hair before dyeing.

I dyed my hair last night, using bleach blonde on my red hair. It turned orange, so I put a light brown on it. Can I today put another blonde on top? I'm scared. My hair does feel dry.

Eek! Too soon. I feel like you know you shouldn't ;) Keep deep conditioning your hair and get a trim... wait about a month when you are not so scared and you can tell your hair is in a better spot. Over dying will lead to the most brittle, breakable hair.

Deep condition once a week for a month. Then try again.

I used the platinum blonde Feria hair dye and I ended up needing two boxes, but only had one! My hair doesn't look too bad, but my roots really need to be fixed and it's brassy in certain spots. Anyways, when could I dye my hair again?

I'd carefully spot dye with a small touch-ups container, not your whole head of hair.

Miz Toosa,

Right, but, the lady would need to do her entire scalp in order to 'fix' her roots. When the roots have been lifted to the same level as her brassy spots, she should then apply the color to those brassy spots, not before. My thoughts are, if she can do this herself and end up with an even color, her name should be Anne Sullivan (as in the miracle worker).

When can she do it? Other than a 24-48 hour period to give the scalp a rest, it doesn't matter. Conditioners will make the hair appear healthier and cause it to be more manageable. They wont do anything to lessen any undesirable physiological changes that may be brought about by re applying color.

So a week ago I dyed my hair burgundy and I was wondering if it will damage my hair to dye it again? It's the same color, but a different brand. I just want to know if it's a good idea?

Hair color always has a base color in it.... The base color in the one you used could be red and the new one could be yellow..... You might end up with orange hair. I.e. The base colors in the different hair dye could cause your hair to turn a completely different color, especially if it is store bought and not done professionally.

Judy

Not exactly true. Permanent colors do tend to fade a bit. For that reason, hair color manufacturers recommend that for the last five minutes of retouch development time, the color be applied to the entire hair shaft. This brief time of color on already colored hair tends to refresh the old color. And too, by then most oxidation of the color has already taken place, it's unlikely the hair would go darker. Just a technical point.

You are right that the lady should not apply a full color treatment on top of a full color treatment (as a rule, there are exceptions). As with cybergrannie, I am totally confused as to why the lady would want to put the same color on her hair assuming she obtained good coverage with the first application.

If she were to put a semi permanent color on top of the permanent color, I would suggest that she use one that did not require a catalyst.

I have been coloring my hair (3n) with Sally's hair color for years. I recently dyed my hair not realizing I used volume 20 instead of 10. My roots are now still completely brown (5n) while the rest of my hair looks like a 2n. How soon after coloring my hair can I fix my roots? I colored my hair today.

Deep-condition and re-color in 2 weeks.

If you JUST do your roots where it is fresh and youre careful not to overlap, go ahead and do it.

I just dyed my hair last night and don't like the colour. How long should I wait to dye it again?

At least 4 weeks, but 5 would be ideal.

It depends what type of dye you used. Did you darken with a permanent or semi permanent or lighten it?

I dyed my hair with Hicolor highlights about 2 weeks ago, but I wanna dry it again with the same product, but a different color. Will it be OK to dye it after only 2 weeks?

At least 4 weeks. Better if you wait 5 weeks though.

Are you doing strands or tips or your whole head? I'd give it a breather for a couple more weeks and make sure to trim/deep condition after you've done it again.

So I recently was trying to dye my hair blonde and by recent I mean Sunday/Monday. It tried this ammonia free dye that smells wonderful and I've used it in the past it make my hair darker or a mahogany colour. I tried the blonde dye and my hair just didn't absorb it. Then I tried a different blonde hair dye and only the roots absorbed the colour; my hair is slightly lighter though. How long should I wait before trying to go back to darker again? I look like a moron currently.

French braiding seems to work without showing people that the dye just didn't work out or they are too polite to tell me otherwise.

Anyway I want to do it asap, but feel like I should wait until at least the weekend before attempting it. Let me know your thoughts!

Anonymous

You can go darker right away. But remember to condition it frequently.

If you wanted it light again, you would have to wait a couple of weeks before trying it again.

Do not go all the way to black, as it is too much for your hair to stand. And condition your hair frequently to allow it to go back to normal.

Straight away but be mindful of how long the solution stays in your hair. A light trim and deep conditioning is good after each colouring.

My hair is naturally a dark dirty blonde. I've been dyeing it natural blonde for the past 6 months using Loreal Preference hair color. However, I decided I wanted to try something new and change my hair to brown. I used a hair color remover to strip the overtones in my hair and then I dyed my hair with a medium ash brown hair dye (also Loreal Preference). However, now my hair is a dirty blonde with blue and grey tints to it. It doesn't look terrible, but it's not the color I was going for.

I was wondering if I could apply a semi-permanent dye over this color to get something darker, or if I need to wait and fully re-dye my hair in 4 weeks. My hair has been pretty resilient through all of the coloring I've done and I haven't really noticed much damage. If anything my hair is softer and more manageable after dyeing it.

The photos are what my hair looked like with the blonde dye and what it looks like now. The image where I'm wearing the blue shirt is the current color, but the photo made it look lighter than it actually is.

Is there a better way to get to brown from here?

You could use a semi permanent dye. If you like it you can use a permanent dye in the same color in a month.

If you're using semi permanent, go right ahead. I had to change my hair colour in a rush after dying it bright and used this stuff:

http://www.hous  BDvoxoCW_Hw_wcB#

It was REALLY good.

I just dyed my hair the problem is the top of my hair is now so much lighter then the rest of my hair which is now a medium brown with some red tinges. I bought a light golden brown, but I have not dyed my roots since October so now it's uneven. How soon can I fix this?

Your hair is absorbing the dye. Just dye the roots as soon as possible to match the rest of your hair and cut the red ends off.

Now, but only target where the dye is needed.

I have recently gone from blonde to brown, but in a week the colour has faded and my original color is starting to show through. Do I need to wait 4 weeks before I can colour this again? I did go to a salon and they did say to expect fading.

Use a semipermanent color over your permanent dye. After your next dye job, make sure you use color safe shampoo and conditioner, warm water instead of hot, and wear a hat when you are in the sun.

Load More