How Long Should I Wait to Re-dye My Hair?

Category Coloring
A girl with blue and silver dyed hair.
Re-dyeng your hair too soon can sometimes damage your hair. This is a guide about, "How long should I wait to re-dye my hair?".

I colored my hair and thought it would come out dark auburn, but it just looks dark brown. Can I color it again with a red to make it more auburn? Can I do it right away or do I have to wait?

My sister kept coloring her hair different color browns every few days because she didn't like the shade and it turned green! I definitely don't want green! Thanks to anyone who can help me!

By Scubalover from Orange, CA

Best Answer

Did you use permanent or washout? Wash out: I suggest washing most of it out before re-dyeing (kids shampoo usually rinses the color out fast). Permanant: Uh-oh...tricky. I have found lightening your hair doesn't always work out. I don't want to worry you but you may have to bleach/go lighter it to get the right color now. And then re-dye. Good luck. I hope you don't have to go to the salon. I had to get black stripped out of my hair once and it was so expensive.

Best Answer

Wait! Too much dye can make your hair brittle and fragile. Just wear it up for two weeks. You'll be fine- I've had worse :/

You should wait 2 weeks to re-dye. Since Auburn is a red color it will fade gradually with each wash. Red is not a good color to dye with because it does not hold well.

So a week ago I dyed my hair burgundy and I was wondering if it will damage my hair to dye it again? It's the same color, but a different brand. I just want to know if it's a good idea?

If it is a permanent color it is not a good idea. With permanent color you only dye the new growth. If you put dye on the already dyed hair it will get darker and darker. You could put a semi-permanent color on top of the dyed hair for a richer color.

If your hair and scalp are in good condition, it should be fine. Just remember that the more color you apply, the more translucency your hair will lose, and the less natural it will look.

I guess I would have to ask - why do you wish to redye?

You mention that it will be the same color - just a different brand of dye so I cannot help but wonder what it is that you are trying to change? Why the same color?

If you are only dissatisfied with your color then maybe you should rethink doing this right away as dying hair does take away some of the natural look/texture.

I guess I just cannot help but wonder what you are trying to accomplish with this redye.

Have you talked with anyone about your "problem" with your hair? Maybe even a kind friend?

Anonymous

I would tell you to call a professional and ask, just to be sure you don't end up bald ! personally , I am very wary of dying my hair,,, I do not like that thought of any chemical getting into my body that way. BUT it has been around many years....r

from personal experience: I went thru a phase where I wanted to dye my hair many weird colours. I first had to bleach it all out because my hair is very dark, but then I would just add dye every couple of weeks when i got tired of the colour.

Basically my hair began falling out, and I decided to never do it again.

Of course if you did not have to bleach it beforehand, you will probalby do better than me.

Hair color always has a base color in it.... The base color in the one you used could be red and the new one could be yellow..... You might end up with orange hair. I.e. The base colors in the different hair dye could cause your hair to turn a completely different color, especially if it is store bought and not done professionally.

Judy

Not exactly true. Permanent colors do tend to fade a bit. For that reason, hair color manufacturers recommend that for the last five minutes of retouch development time, the color be applied to the entire hair shaft. This brief time of color on already colored hair tends to refresh the old color. And too, by then most oxidation of the color has already taken place, it's unlikely the hair would go darker. Just a technical point.

You are right that the lady should not apply a full color treatment on top of a full color treatment (as a rule, there are exceptions). As with cybergrannie, I am totally confused as to why the lady would want to put the same color on her hair assuming she obtained good coverage with the first application.

If she were to put a semi permanent color on top of the permanent color, I would suggest that she use one that did not require a catalyst.

Yes you can with zero damage. Sally's beauty supply carries DEMI permanent color that poses no damage. It is deposit only. It last for months. Ion is a good brand.

Can I re-dye my hair in the same week using semi permanent color? I just dyed my hair a day ago and really like it. I am wondering if I can re-dye it so the color can be a bit brighter/richer and not damage my hair.

I've dyed my hair and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. I've read online that it's not safe to redye your hair because it may damage it. But since redying it isn't healthy can I do a semi-permanent hair coloring 2 days after I've dyed it?

So I bleached my hair and it's been four days. Is it okay if I dye it back to brown or do I have to wait a couple more days? If so, how long do I have to wait?

Every time you bleach or dye your hair, it damages it. Is your hair still in good condition? I would condition it well for several days first, and trim if necessary before I colored it back. Then, condition it well after.

You should deep condition for a month and then color again.

Let your hair have time to recuperate for at least a week and deep condition your hair before dyeing.

Bleach is the harshest process for your hair. If anything, next use a semi permanent dye and do some deep conditioning.

I used the platinum blonde Feria hair dye and I ended up needing two boxes, but only had one! My hair doesn't look too bad, but my roots really need to be fixed and it's brassy in certain spots. Anyways, when could I dye my hair again?

I would deep condition weekly and try again in a month.

I would be careful. Sometimes, it pays to go in and have hair done professionally. When going light- depending on the levels- can be interesting and have to be done more than once. The fact you ended up with spots- makes me think- that you may also need some color correction (sort of thing) to get it even.

I'd carefully spot dye with a small touch-ups container, not your whole head of hair.

Miz Toosa,

Right, but, the lady would need to do her entire scalp in order to 'fix' her roots. When the roots have been lifted to the same level as her brassy spots, she should then apply the color to those brassy spots, not before. My thoughts are, if she can do this herself and end up with an even color, her name should be Anne Sullivan (as in the miracle worker).

When can she do it? Other than a 24-48 hour period to give the scalp a rest, it doesn't matter. Conditioners will make the hair appear healthier and cause it to be more manageable. They wont do anything to lessen any undesirable physiological changes that may be brought about by re applying color.

So I recently was trying to dye my hair blonde and by recent I mean Sunday/Monday. It tried this ammonia free dye that smells wonderful and I've used it in the past it make my hair darker or a mahogany colour. I tried the blonde dye and my hair just didn't absorb it. Then I tried a different blonde hair dye and only the roots absorbed the colour; my hair is slightly lighter though. How long should I wait before trying to go back to darker again? I look like a moron currently.

French braiding seems to work without showing people that the dye just didn't work out or they are too polite to tell me otherwise.

Anyway I want to do it asap, but feel like I should wait until at least the weekend before attempting it. Let me know your thoughts!

Straight away but be mindful of how long the solution stays in your hair. A light trim and deep conditioning is good after each colouring.

Use a semi-permanent dye to make your hair look more "normal." Deep-condition weekly and use permanent dye next month.

Anonymous

You can go darker right away. But remember to condition it frequently.

If you wanted it light again, you would have to wait a couple of weeks before trying it again.

Do not go all the way to black, as it is too much for your hair to stand. And condition your hair frequently to allow it to go back to normal.

I think you can do it now. I would use a permanent dye. There is a new spray temporary coloring agent, i think by clairol, that works great for roots between cokoring

Yesterday I purchased a product from the shopping centre that was supposed to strip my hair. I washed it out and I ended up blonde which is odd because I have never been blonde in my life. I don't like the colour at all and want to change it back to brown how long should I wait to do so?

I dyed my hair last night, using bleach blonde on my red hair. It turned orange, so I put a light brown on it. Can I today put another blonde on top? I'm scared. My hair does feel dry.

I have been coloring my hair (3n) with Sally's hair color for years. I recently dyed my hair not realizing I used volume 20 instead of 10. My roots are now still completely brown (5n) while the rest of my hair looks like a 2n. How soon after coloring my hair can I fix my roots? I colored my hair today.

I just dyed my hair last night and don't like the colour. How long should I wait to dye it again?

I dyed my hair with Hicolor highlights about 2 weeks ago, but I wanna dry it again with the same product, but a different color. Will it be OK to dye it after only 2 weeks?

At least 4 weeks. Better if you wait 5 weeks though.

My hair is naturally a dark dirty blonde. I've been dyeing it natural blonde for the past 6 months using Loreal Preference hair color. However, I decided I wanted to try something new and change my hair to brown. I used a hair color remover to strip the overtones in my hair and then I dyed my hair with a medium ash brown hair dye (also Loreal Preference). However, now my hair is a dirty blonde with blue and grey tints to it. It doesn't look terrible, but it's not the color I was going for.

I was wondering if I could apply a semi-permanent dye over this color to get something darker, or if I need to wait and fully re-dye my hair in 4 weeks. My hair has been pretty resilient through all of the coloring I've done and I haven't really noticed much damage. If anything my hair is softer and more manageable after dyeing it.

The photos are what my hair looked like with the blonde dye and what it looks like now. The image where I'm wearing the blue shirt is the current color, but the photo made it look lighter than it actually is.

Is there a better way to get to brown from here?

You could use a semi permanent dye. If you like it you can use a permanent dye in the same color in a month.

If you're using semi permanent, go right ahead. I had to change my hair colour in a rush after dying it bright and used this stuff:

http://www.hous  BDvoxoCW_Hw_wcB#

It was REALLY good.

The blue and grey tones came from you having used an ash color. These are the least stable colors of the tint. If you are not terribly unhappy with your color, you could wait a while to see just how much the blue and grey will fade.

If you choose to recolor your hair, you can do so now, whether you choose a permanent or semi permanent color. If you decide on a permanent color, choose a neutral brown (to avoid more drab tones), and select a shade at least one shade lighter than the shade you desire.

Above all, before applying any more color to your entire head, do a strand test first. You have been fortunate that your hair is still in good shape. Don't press your luck.

I bleached and colored my hair about 2 weeks ago. My natural hair color is light brown and I went dark red. I've decided I don't like it. I want to bleach and color my hair again. This time I want to go a purplish red. My question is; should I wait and how long should I wait if so?
Thank you in advance.

I just dyed my hair the problem is the top of my hair is now so much lighter then the rest of my hair which is now a medium brown with some red tinges. I bought a light golden brown, but I have not dyed my roots since October so now it's uneven. How soon can I fix this?

I did a balayage hair dye about two months ago on my very dark brown hair. The bottom half of my hair was bleached and turned out orange looking instead of the chocolate brown I asked for. Last week I dyed my hair chocolate brown myself and the bleached part (which was so yellowy orange by that stage) turned red. It looks terrible. I want to dye it all black brown which seems to be closest to my natural colour. How soon can I do it?

Like now.

My short answer was not really the best, considering I did not know how long 'recently' was.

As far as the hair is concerned, I think a 24 hour rest period should be enough. I don't know that there will be any beneficial physiological changes to the hair after that time.

My concern would be the scalp. With your scalp being exposed to both perming solution and hair coloring, and both in the same day, I think it best to wait at least a week before applying more chemicals to the hair.

I am going to dye my hair this week, but I want to know how many days should I wait to add the other color?

I have recently gone from blonde to brown, but in a week the colour has faded and my original color is starting to show through. Do I need to wait 4 weeks before I can colour this again? I did go to a salon and they did say to expect fading.

Use a semipermanent color over your permanent dye. After your next dye job, make sure you use color safe shampoo and conditioner, warm water instead of hot, and wear a hat when you are in the sun.

I dyed my hair medium auburn 3 days ago, but I can only see the colour on the end of my hair (near the scalp). Should I colour my hair again or just wait for a few weeks to avoid damaging my hair?

I think you need to wait. Hopefully you saved the box. There is usually a toll-free number to call and an expert from the company can help you.

I dyed my hair from medium/light brown to honey butter blonde. The top and bangs look great, but some of the sides still look the same and it's a little patchy. I have very long hair.

I used Garnier Nutrisse permanent dye. How long do I have to wait to and make the ends match the top?

By Liz G.

Recently I got an olive oil perm and color the same day but the color did not take. In fact around my temples, where I am gray, my hair turned almost gold. How long do I have to wait to color my hair?

Barbara from Pembroke Pines, Florida

Answers:

How long should I wait to re-dye my hair?

You should always wait one week between coloring and perming at least! I would recommend 10 days to 2 weeks if you are really grey. Try washing your hair with bar soap to tone down the color of the dye for a week or so (bar soap on wet hair really scrub it in then regular shampoo and conditioner). It sounds crazy but it takes the brassiness out. (02/16/2009)

By CJ

What is an olive oil perm? I've never heard of it. What color did you dye your hair? It is OK everywhere else, but the temples where you are gray? I wouldn't color all over. You can get a touch-up kit. I like Revlon Colorsilk Root Perfect and Clairol makes a touch up, too. Just look around a drugstore carefully, they are in the same section as hair dye. (02/16/2009)

By OliveOyl

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and who ever gave you the perm should not have colored your hair the same day as the perm. The rule of thumb is to wait one week before receiving a second chemical treatment such as a hair color. (02/16/2009)

By MCW

Two hours is enough. (02/17/2009)

I've been a licensed Cosmetologist since 1972 and I agree with MCW. You might want to re-think using this hairstylist again because having done two chemical processes in one day is unprofessional and/or greedy.

If it's been a week or two since these processes it should be okay to repair the color now. Just be sure someone who is a color specialist does it and that they are aware of what has already been done. (02/17/2009)

By Deeli