How Long Should I Wait to Re-dye My Hair?

Re-dyeng your hair too soon can sometimes damage your hair. This is a guide about, "How long should I wait to re-dye my hair?".

January 16, 2017 Flag

So a week ago I dyed my hair burgundy and I was wondering if it will damage my hair to dye it again? It's the same color, but a different brand. I just want to know if it's a good idea?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your hair and scalp are in good condition, it should be fine. Just remember that the more color you apply, the more translucency your hair will lose, and the less natural it will look.

I guess I would have to ask - why do you wish to redye?

You mention that it will be the same color - just a different brand of dye so I cannot help but wonder what it is that you are trying to change? Why the same color?

If you are only dissatisfied with your color then maybe you should rethink doing this right away as dying hair does take away some of the natural look/texture.

I guess I just cannot help but wonder what you are trying to accomplish with this redye.

Have you talked with anyone about your "problem" with your hair? Maybe even a kind friend?

I would tell you to call a professional and ask, just to be sure you don't end up bald ! personally , I am very wary of dying my hair,,, I do not like that thought of any chemical getting into my body that way. BUT it has been around many years....r

from personal experience: I went thru a phase where I wanted to dye my hair many weird colours. I first had to bleach it all out because my hair is very dark, but then I would just add dye every couple of weeks when i got tired of the colour.

Basically my hair began falling out, and I decided to never do it again.

Of course if you did not have to bleach it beforehand, you will probalby do better than me.

Hair color always has a base color in it.... The base color in the one you used could be red and the new one could be yellow..... You might end up with orange hair. I.e. The base colors in the different hair dye could cause your hair to turn a completely different color, especially if it is store bought and not done professionally.

Judy

Not exactly true. Permanent colors do tend to fade a bit. For that reason, hair color manufacturers recommend that for the last five minutes of retouch development time, the color be applied to the entire hair shaft. This brief time of color on already colored hair tends to refresh the old color. And too, by then most oxidation of the color has already taken place, it's unlikely the hair would go darker. Just a technical point.

You are right that the lady should not apply a full color treatment on top of a full color treatment (as a rule, there are exceptions). As with cybergrannie, I am totally confused as to why the lady would want to put the same color on her hair assuming she obtained good coverage with the first application.

If she were to put a semi permanent color on top of the permanent color, I would suggest that she use one that did not require a catalyst.

December 27, 2016 Flag

I dyed my hair medium auburn 3 days ago, but I can only see the colour on the end of my hair (near the scalp). Should I colour my hair again or just wait for a few weeks to avoid damaging my hair?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think you need to wait. Hopefully you saved the box. There is usually a toll-free number to call and an expert from the company can help you.

May 7, 2009 Flag

I colored my hair and thought it would come out dark auburn, but it just looks dark brown. Can I color it again with a red to make it more auburn? Can I do it right away or do I have to wait?

My sister kept coloring her hair different color browns every few days because she didn't like the shade and it turned green! I definitely don't want green! Thanks to anyone who can help me!

By Scubalover from Orange, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Did you use permanent or washout? Wash out: I suggest washing most of it out before re-dyeing (kids shampoo usually rinses the color out fast). Permanant: Uh-oh...tricky. I have found lightening your hair doesn't always work out. I don't want to worry you but you may have to bleach/go lighter it to get the right color now. And then re-dye. Good luck. I hope you don't have to go to the salon. I had to get black stripped out of my hair once and it was so expensive.

Best Answer

Wait! Too much dye can make your hair brittle and fragile. Just wear it up for two weeks. You'll be fine- I've had worse :/

You should wait 2 weeks to re-dye. Since Auburn is a red color it will fade gradually with each wash. Red is not a good color to dye with because it does not hold well.

March 22, 2016 Flag

I did a balayage hair dye about two months ago on my very dark brown hair. The bottom half of my hair was bleached and turned out orange looking instead of the chocolate brown I asked for. Last week I dyed my hair chocolate brown myself and the bleached part (which was so yellowy orange by that stage) turned red. It looks terrible. I want to dye it all black brown which seems to be closest to my natural colour. How soon can I do it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Like now.

My short answer was not really the best, considering I did not know how long 'recently' was.

As far as the hair is concerned, I think a 24 hour rest period should be enough. I don't know that there will be any beneficial physiological changes to the hair after that time.

My concern would be the scalp. With your scalp being exposed to both perming solution and hair coloring, and both in the same day, I think it best to wait at least a week before applying more chemicals to the hair.

November 3, 2013 Flag

I dyed my hair from medium/light brown to honey butter blonde. The top and bangs look great, but some of the sides still look the same and it's a little patchy. I have very long hair.

I used Garnier Nutrisse permanent dye. How long do I have to wait to and make the ends match the top?

By Liz G.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2009 Flag

Recently I got an olive oil perm and color the same day but the color did not take. In fact around my temples, where I am gray, my hair turned almost gold. How long do I have to wait to color my hair?

Barbara from Pembroke Pines, Florida

Answers:

How long should I wait to re-dye my hair?

You should always wait one week between coloring and perming at least! I would recommend 10 days to 2 weeks if you are really grey. Try washing your hair with bar soap to tone down the color of the dye for a week or so (bar soap on wet hair really scrub it in then regular shampoo and conditioner). It sounds crazy but it takes the brassiness out. (02/16/2009)

By CJ

What is an olive oil perm? I've never heard of it. What color did you dye your hair? It is OK everywhere else, but the temples where you are gray? I wouldn't color all over. You can get a touch-up kit. I like Revlon Colorsilk Root Perfect and Clairol makes a touch up, too. Just look around a drugstore carefully, they are in the same section as hair dye. (02/16/2009)

By OliveOyl

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and who ever gave you the perm should not have colored your hair the same day as the perm. The rule of thumb is to wait one week before receiving a second chemical treatment such as a hair color. (02/16/2009)

By MCW

Two hours is enough. (02/17/2009)

I've been a licensed Cosmetologist since 1972 and I agree with MCW. You might want to re-think using this hairstylist again because having done two chemical processes in one day is unprofessional and/or greedy.

If it's been a week or two since these processes it should be okay to repair the color now. Just be sure someone who is a color specialist does it and that they are aware of what has already been done. (02/17/2009)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A woman having her hair dyed.
Re-Dyeing Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringDecember 15, 2016
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 8:38:49 PM on 10.0.0.30 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.