DamagedHair Tips

Frugal "Malibu Treatment" to Remove Rust and Hard Water Build-up from Hair

Can you use pink lemonade instead of regular lemonade when doing a Malibu treatment at home?

By Stacy from Pinconning, MI

Best Answer

Omg, this actually works. I just moved a few months ago and have terrible water (even though we have a sofener) that has turned my hair from pretty blonde to disgusting, limp, orange brassy hair. I was pretty skeptical of some of the crazy Internet "fixes" but I was at the point today of chopping it off or dying it brown. It was really depressing me.

Anyhow, I did a test section and it worked. Then I did the rest of my head. No more rust! Back to blonde! Going to invest in a shower filter too, but at least this got me back to blonde! Thank you Kool Aid! I will also mention that my natural color is light brown, my blonde color is from highlights in case you're wondering about color safeness.

Worked great for my hair although I don't know if it would have the same effect on darker hair. I feel so much better! Plus, all the tackiness and dullness is gone, my hair is light and fluffy and shiny (and did I say blonde?!)

Best Answer

I moved in with my boyfriend in Wasilla, Alaska 3 years ago and his ridiculously iron-rich well water turned my blonde hair bright red. It was depressing frankly and even the super-pricey salon fix only half-worked and did not last. Then I saw this online and tried one more time.

I started this experiment with Country Time Lemonade Mix thinking one brand as good as another and pasted that on. A sticky mess and terrible disappointment! My friend laughed at me, wow, you really are a blonde and steered me toward Koolaid Lemonade packets sans sugar. It worked. It freaking flipping worked! I am joyful.

gNyUHE Just to let you know your web page looks a little bit unusual in Safari on my notebook with Linux.

This works! I have light brown hair that I heavily highlight til I am just about blonde on the top. I have had this icky water for 11 years, so I knew it was going to happen. I have used the Malibu 2000 and the crystal ion from sally's at home with not much luck. The ones in the salon are okay, but quite frankly I am frugal and do not even get my hair colored there, I do it myself.

The mixture does burn and itch, but it works. My husband thought I was a frootloop, but the results are amazing!

I would do a follow up with deep conditioning and try to wet your hair with distilled water, so that your iron laden water doesn't sit in your hair.

Looking at the back of the kool aid package, there is citric acid, lemon juice solids, and ascorbic acid, isn't the last one in Malibu? There is also salt in it, so that is why you need to condition, of course I have bleached hair -frost n tip- so it affected my hair more. Good luck!

My hair is a rusty mess. I had beautiful bleach blonde hair until I moved out into the country and the rust ruined it. I go into a big depression over my hair and i don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Everyone keeps saying be careful the home remedies can turn your hair orange. I am a brunette who lives in the country. We have a water softener and use rust away salt. Ever since we moved here (last July) my hair is orange! It almost looks blonde on the ends! My hair use to be healthy, and so dark people said I had black hair! Now it's frizzy and looks like rust! Is the OTC or home remedy going to make it more orange?

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips DamagedSeptember 12, 2010
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 5:30:46 AM on 10.0.2.12 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.