Reusing Milk Sleeves

With the amount of milk my family goes through in a week, I was seeing too many litre milk sleeves going in the garbage. So now I cut them open along the top, wash them well and let them dry upside down. After which I can now use them as a sandwich bag with a bread or milk clip to fasten it. Saves money and less garbage is created.

By Janice from Ontario, Canada

You get milk in a plastic bag? I've never heard of such a thing.

I thought maybe you meant your powdered milk came in the plastic sleeves but it must be liquid milk? I had never heard of such a thing either.

Is this what yours looks like?:

http://familynorthbound.com/home-li ... gs-who-needs-jugs-when-we-have-bags/

or

http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/?p=952

You learn something new every day. :-)

We get our milk in plastic jugs, which I also wash out and use for all kinds of things.

My daughter lives in Ottowa, Canada also and she had a real problem when she first moved there with the "milk sleeves". We had never seen nor heard of them. The milk in the USA comes in plastic bottles. Canada's plastic bags are messy and get dried milk on the edges and are not very attractive. Also, your butter does not come in quarters, just one big pound and you have to cut it up yourself. But your Ottowa is beautiful and I just visited there the first week in September for the balloon fest, some sight seeing and good food.

As a fellow Ontarian, Milk in bags is commonplace. I wash mine out and reuse them as freezer bags. They are super thick, and seem to prevent freezer burn. Just so the rest of the world knows, We Canadians get "bags of milk" - 3 smaller bags in a 4 litre bag of milk. The smaller bag fits inside a milk jug for pouring. Milk also comes in cartons of various sizes up to 2 litres.

Better Living Green Living ReusingSeptember 28, 2009
T-shirt
Tightening T-shirt Sleeves
Men's Shirt
Shortening Men's Shirt Sleeves
A woman sewing using a sewing machine.
Sewing Sleeves
🎄
🍂