Bedroom Furniture Has Strong Odor

I bought a bedroom suite, it is not real wood, but it is beautiful and I got it for hardly anything. However, it has an odor. At first it was mostly cigarette and my husband and I are both non-smokers. He says I have a nose like a Beagle, the odor is in the, what I call wood and inside the drawers.

I cleaned it up and put my shirts in, but then I couldn't take them out and wear them. They choked me with the smell. So I put dryer sheets, baking soda, and soap. My husband even put those car deodorizers in the drawers.

Then I had to take it to the garage, I love it and would like to keep it. I brought it back in and washed it down with Ivory soap and the drawers still smell to me, but he says not to him.

I noticed when I wiped it down that it looked like it had a film on it. Is there anything I can do? I have looked at your ideas. Thanks

By Marshmellow from Thorn Hill, TN

First try putting vinegar into each drawer in bowels or small cups & letting them sit for several days with the drawers shut. It sounds strange that something stinky like Vinegar will remove odors, but it works wonderfully!

Other things you can try is using straight ammonia or "Scrubbing Bubbles" type of canned bathroom cleaner (you can find the bathroom spray at $1 strores) These are strong enough to clean the nicotine film off the wood.

Lastly, after you've cleaned the nicotine film off of the wood you could saturate the wood with Febreze, then let it dry for several days, but first remove the film of nicotine with a strong cleaner & a sponge!

If you can't get rid of the odor, simply seal the inside of the drawers with a clear, water or oil-based varathine, then let dry over night & re-coat... This should cover up any odor by sealing it in!

* You are in good company, I also have a nose like a blood hound, especially when it comes to cigarettes! ...There is no way I could have worn those clothes either!

Hint: To remove cigarette, campfire or smoke odor from clothes, bedding & curtains, add 1 can of Classic Coca-Cola (regular, NOT sugarless) to your washload with your regular detergent.

You have already received some good tips. You could also try cleaning with a degreaser(to get the cigarette nicotine off) then place either containers of kitty litter(absorbent) or charcoal briquets. I had to use these when the power went out and all the food spoiled in my refrigerator. The odor was horrendous. Ausing these tips the fridge was as good as new. (Thriftyfun has tons of great tips)

Your story reminds me of the "bed" that I bought several years ago to furnish a guest room. I brought it home and cleaned it then put my new mattress on it. Each time I passed the door to the room I smelled a sour odor. I took the bed outside and scrubbed it with strong detergent and hosed it down. I let it dry in the sun because by this time I had decided to paint it. The smell got worse. White shadowy spots started appearing on the wood and they creeped me out so I took the whole bed to the dump. I am not saying you should do this, I was just reminded of it that's all.

There is a product called "Knockout" that will work. I know you can buy it online and if you get Mary Hunt's Cheapskate newsletter, she sells it there.

Try using a spray form of "Fresh-Wave". Or you may try the crystal form. If you can't find it, check on to find where it is sold in your area, and read about it.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMarch 5, 2010
large couch
Removing Odors from Furniture
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
A cat sitting on a couch.
Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch
Sanding an oak plywood cabinet.
Restoring Plywood Furniture