Freeze Paintbrush For Tomorrow

If you have to stop in the middle of painting before the job is done, you don't have to wash the brush. Just stick the bristles into a sandwich bag, no need to seal, and pop it into the freezer until ready to paint again.

By Amuck from Fairview Heights, IL

I put my paint brush in a plastic bag in the freezer and a year later the brush and paint were fine.

Putting your paint loaded brush in a plastic bag with a bag tie or elastic band round will work for overnight too.

Thanks for all the great tips.

So, ... for my 6 month job:

. an old roller squeezes away the ferrule clean;

. the mfctr's solvent keeps it moist in a flat baggie;

. freeze it a few days off and on, whenever.

Gotta get some more kinds of wire brushes.

I think it would be better to clean the paintbrush rather than freezing it! The only problem is the time and hassle of running under water for what seems like hours or dipping in paint thinner/cleaner, flexing the bristles to get the cleaner into the root of the bristle and drying on paper tissues to absorb the dirty cleaning fluid.

Thankfully, I have found a quick method of cleaning a paintbrush, which should take less than five minutes. I simply place the brush in a device I found on called a Multi-Purpose Paint Roller, whose handle can also be used to fit brushes into an electric drill and spin at a high speed to eject the paint from the paint brush. You can dip it into cleaner/water and repeat several times in a few minutes, remember to place the brush in a cardboard box or old paint tin to catch the ejected paint first! The result is a clean, dry brush in minutes.

I have been freezing my paint brushes and rollers overnight for a long time. I use a plastic shopping bag. Dunno's method sounds like a lot more work!

I just slip a plastic grocery bag over the paint tray with the brush inside it & tighten the end of the bag. This will keep the brush for up to 3 days without a problem.

June 15, 2009 Flag

Putting a paint brush in the freezer between uses will allow you to continue a job the next day without having to clean the brush.

By Cristi

Painting Tips and Tricks
Painting Tips and Tricks
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJune 15, 2009
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Diced potato home fries.
Freezing Hash Browns
Leftover Biscuits
Uses for Leftover Biscuits
Choosing the Right Paintbrush