Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Blood Stains on Sheets

How do I get blood stains out of white sheets?

Kristine from CA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Kenny B.04/08/2014

Soap is the best solution ... trust me! Rub soap on the blood area. Leave it for 3 minutes. then rub and raise it with water. 100% works!

By Delia Weed (Guest Post)11/07/2008

The Oust idea from Rosie was great thank you so much my husband is on isulin and gets stains on good shirts and sheets all the time. I have tried almost everything and the oust works great/

By Noelle (Guest Post)11/03/2007

My grandmother always uses FORMULA 409 ALL-PURPOSE CLEANER, the cleaning agent packaged in a spray bottle. She has used it for years and years on my grandfather's clothes. My grandfather is on a blood thinner and bumps himself every single day, so there's always blood somewhere on his clothes. She spends a lot of time doing his laundry, and she has tried all of the previously-posted attempts at blood stain removal.

She says that her FORMULA 409 All-Purpose Cleaner works the best for her. She sprays it on and lets it soak in for a while, she probably gently scrubs it a little, and then she soaks it in cold water. After that, she washes it in the machine in cold water. I do not know how it will affect nice fabrics, though. She does use it on his dress shirts, which are usually 100% cotton or a Polyester blend as well as his slacks (I'm unsure what kind of fabric is used for his slacks).

By ROXIE (Guest Post)06/14/2007

USE THE OUST AIR SPRAY ON IT AND MAKE SURE U SOAK IT WITH IT .. THEN WATCH IT JUST DISAPPEARS BEFORE UR EYES ...THEN WASH WITH UR LAUNDRY SOAP AS NORMAL.. U CAN USE THE OUST ON ANYTHING .. PEN INK ON A COUCH OR KIDS PANTS ANYTHING IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM ..

By Julie [2]01/09/2007

"Irish Spring" soap works well also. ;)

By Harlean from Arkansas [125]01/08/2007

I just wet bloodstains with cold water and rub them with a bar of soap. then rub the fabric together. Repeat until stain disappears and then launder as usual.
Harlean from Arkansas

By Cyinda [214]01/08/2007

-----> HYDROGEN PEROXIDE <----
it works great on ANY and all ORGANIC stains on fabric, carpeting & upholstery! Just pour on & watch it foam out the stain!

---> AMMONIA <--- I keep a bottle of ammonia above my washer & use this directly on blood stains (even ones that have been sitting a long time) BUT DO NOT USE AMMONIA WITH BLEACH in the same load. Just pour ammonia on blood stain, put in washer for a few minutes to "soak" before adding water & soap as usual. If the stain docent come out, repeat steps above. Check to make sure the stain came out BEFORE putting it in the dryer, as the dryer sets the stain.

* I use ammonia in my wash for blood & peroxide on my carpet for nearly any organic stain. (Peroxide works GREAT for coffee & grape juice but will not work for kool-aid & artificial dyes)

By Joan [19]01/08/2007

I find that just soaking the item in cold water and then washing as usual always gets blood stains out. Then you don't have to worry about peroxide bleaching the fabric.

By Kim McGrantham [16]01/08/2007

My aunt is a lifetime nurse.. definitely use peroxide! I have also tried it and yes it does work.. as does the bleach spot pen.

By becca (Guest Post)01/08/2007

Soak the area and use meat tenderizer (powder you might have with spices or you can get in any grocery store). I've accidenntally gotten my 'womantime' unexpectedly before, and stained my favorite jeans. I think this is the best method, works on all colors of fabrics too, although the peroxide works well too.

By Star01/08/2007

Soak it in salt water, I would use enough cold water to cover the sheet and then pour in a cup of salt, mix it up and let it sit for a few hours or wet the spot and put salt on it, then let it set, and throw it in the wash.

By Dawn [3]01/07/2007

Since Hot water sets protein stains, soak in cold water for 30 minutes, then apply a prewash stain remover, bar of soap or liquid laudry detergent.

If it has dried- soak in warm water with an enzyme -based product. Then wash

~Dawn
http://www.frugalforlife.com

By Cassie [6]01/06/2007

oxy-clean

By kathy01/06/2007

I agree with the hydrogen peroxide suggestion -- back in the days when nurses wore white uniforms, this is what we used!

Sometimes it takes repeat applications and rubbing BEFORE you wash the item. The H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) will bubble and become warm in the bloody area. Rub gently, add more H2O2, rub some more... repeat till the stain is almost gone, and rinse well in cool water. Then you can wash the item. I usually then also use a regular stain remover product, such as Shout. Sometimes, but not always, H2O2 works on old stains as well.

However, it MAY bleach the fabric somewhat. So you have to decide: do you want blood stain, or a chance of a slightly bleached area.

By Debra in Colorado (Guest Post)01/06/2007

If you have not washed them just wash in cold water if you have already washed them use hydrogen peroxide to get the stains out.

By rosemary01/05/2007

pour hydrogen peroxide directly on stains...let sit briefly and then wash cold water....also pour some into wash load if necessary...will not hurt fabric...