Browsing: Rid-Ex Alternatives for Your Septic Tank

Rid-Ex Alternative for Your Septic Tank

Instead of using Rid-ex for a monthly solution for a septic tank - use baking soda and yeast and flush down the toilet.

By Natalie B.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

We use a package of yeast. It's a lot cheaper than that Rid X & does the same job!

I was told by my septic tank man that the best thing is to dump a quart of butter milk down the drain about every 1-1/2 months. I have been doing that for years and had no problems.

I would recommend that you don't use Ridex at all. It created a huge cake of "gunk" on top of my septic tank and made it back up. I had to have it pumped out. That is when I changed to buttermilk.

Great idea! I've got yeast on my shopping list now. I hated the cost of Rid-X, just to flush away! I logged on to find out the ratio of yeast to baking soda, but if a pkg of yeast works too, that's great. I'm guessing it'd still be about once a month?

Thanks so much!!

Are we talking about those small envelopes of dry Yeast?

The yeast really works! And a whole lot cheaper!!

The yeast and buttermilk are just eaten by the tank. But the baking soda does help to make the ph more to the liking of bacteria growth. unless your system has clogged before the bacteria that comes from your body is enough.

Check out

http://septicdrain.com

you can see the diffrence that a well cared for tank

makes you gotta pump it before it fails!

Do you put the yeast and/or buttermilk down the sink drain or in the toilet? What if you have 4 toilets.....does the one treatment work for all? Also, how much yeast and how much buttermilk do you use?

I have a 1500 gallon septic tank... any idea of how much yeast and baking soda I need and how often to use it? Thanks

my wife says bake a cake put it in septic

How many packets of yeast vs. tablespoons of baking soda??? Help!

ok so i am a new home homeowner. I used a gallon of buttermilk in my tank. how does this work exactly? i used spoiled buttermilk and the chunks it had. how can that be useful? i am confused in th is matter and all around. think i am stupid for asking. so can someone please help me understand? ty

I use my local store brands liquid septic treatment.

Unlike the powder, it won't make a huge cake that

could back up the system.

The best bet is prevention though, do not use bleach

fabric softner,most drain cleaners.Make sure your

detergent is a bio degradable brand as well. some

common household cleaners will kill the bacteria which

is necessary to keep a septic tank flowing freely. I've

had mine for 15 years and I've never had mine

pumped once.

The best thing to use in your septic tank is Roebic K-37. I have been using this products for years. Check out their web site to find it near you. www.roebic.com

How much and what type of brewers yeast should I use?

My Farmer told me to get the 4inch by 4inch cube of yeast from Costco/Sam's Club $2.50 and put it in toilet furthest away from septic tank and put 1/2 the cube in that toilet & flush twice, then put other half in other toilet bowl & flush once. Do this every other month even in wintertime .That's the treatment for my 1500 gallon septic. I get it pumped out every 5 years. Have been doing this for 20 years..Ridex has gotten too big for its britches' it costs 20.00 now for 6 doses of the liquid enzymes. Don't see where it works any better then what I am doing.

Just had my aerobic system 1500 gal tank pumped today. My technician (very turst-worthy) also suggested to pour 1 gal buttermilk in - 1/time mo. He also said that Rid-X wouldn't suffice for the "bigger bugs".

The septic take was fine, but after I flushed the yeast it backed up, coincidence?

I have heard that the yeast is not the best solution and has that caking up problem. I found a product called Flush-it and have been using it for a while. Works great! There is a ton of information on their site including a comparison to Rid-Ex and other competitors.

I put some DG home Septic Tank Treatment from Dollar General Store in my toilet when it wouldn't flush. I expected it to foam or do something visible, it didn't seem to do anything. It's inexpensive but does it work at all, anyone know?

Rid-Ex Alternative
Rid-Ex Alternatives for Your Septic Tank
Home and Garden Home Improvement Septic TankApril 22, 2004
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Planting Near Septic System
Planting Trees and Shrubs Near a Septic System
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 1:18:39 PM on 10.0.0.181 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.