What is This Flower? (Autumn Joy Sedum)

What is this? It is loaded with flies and butterflies constantly, and I mean loaded! Thanks. Linda

By Linda from Bellevue, NE

Top Comment

Autumn Joy SEDUM: If it's in bloom now (September) & it's pink & looks like a "succulent" it's called an Autumn Joy SEDUM. It requires lots of sunshine & not a lot of water. It's a perennial. (which means it will come back year after year) I have some still in pots sitting near where I need to plant them outside. I traded some pottery for 4 of them & have just left them sitting outside, being to busy to replant them, but amazingly, they have THRIVED with just a little bit of watering once in a while... Their amazing & hardy little creatures, because I still haven't killed them!

---> Here's what the plastic plant marker that came with them says:

SEDUM

'Autumn Joy'

Height 18-24"

Spacing 18-24"

Full Sun

Easy care & dependable, & a provider of late summer beauty & interest. Succulent gray leaves on unbranched stems carry umbrellas of salmon pink flowers turning coppery with are.

USES: Indispensable border plant, also good in rockeries & containers collections.

CARE: Well drained, ordinary soil & full sun for reliable performance.

Here's a photo of the 'Autumn Joy' SEDUM

http://www.perennials.com/seeplant.html?item=1.485.340

They remind me of the Orange colored wildflower called the "Butterfly Weed":

Here it is on one of the best websites for looking up wildflowers, or anything "Wildflower"

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center:

http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=15011

It's a type of sedum. See Park Seed or Wayside gardening web sites for type.

Park Seed Link

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/ ... p;SearchText=sedum&OfferCode=TH1

Wayside Linhttp://www.waysidegardens.com/webap ... e=NewRequest&go.x=8&go.y=10k

This is Sedum Spectabile or Sedum Telphium. It is a perennial and the new plants for next year already appear not long after the flowering period. It can come in pink, light red and dark wine red. It is a magnet for bees and butterflies. It is very easy to divide and replant.

Doriane, Belgium

This flower is called Autumn Joy

Editor's Note: I agree Autumn Joy Sedum.

Good Morning Linda,

I believe it is called SEDUM, my grandmother always called it a Broccoli Bush!

Kind Regards,

Linda Smith

It looks like a plant that I used to have called Pink Sedum. It blooms in the fall & when it reaches the "dead" stage, it can be picked & used as a dried flower.

This is one of the many species of hostas. I am loaded with bees

IT LOOKS LIKE SEDUM MAYBE AUTUMN JOY

Your flower is a Sedum that looks like one called Autumn Joy. It's a perennial and mine doesn't need any special care. In the fall , it will continue to get a deeper color of dark mauve or maroon. This is considered to be one of the best Sedum's to have. It also spreads. I started with 2 small(12"highx4'wide) plants and it now measures about 6' across by 3' high.

This looks like a sedum plant called "Brilliant". A real pretty pink that butterflies and bees love. It blooms in late summer/early fall. As it dies back you don't have to cut or deadhead it. Come spring when the plant begins to green, I pull out the brown dead stems.

This looks like Autumn Joy Sedum. It is a great plant that does attract bees, butterflies, etc. It is very easy to propagate. Pinch out about three inches in the early spring and stick in sand or soil and keep it moist. It will root in no time and bloom in the later summer. The blooms will dry if it isn't too wet and will make nice dried arrangments for winter.

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersSeptember 28, 2007
bowl of shredded coconut
Making Almond Joy Bars
Autumn Leaves Jar Candle Holder
Making an Autumn Leaves Jar Candle Holder
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
Growing Sedum
Growing Sedum
🎉
🎄