'Vet's Best Ear Relief Wash and Dry' from Petco

I recently read that a product from Petco called 'Vet's Best Ear Relief Wash and Dry' helped their dog with ear problems related to yeast infections. I would like any info regarding treatment for this problem. I have tried the raw diet, I saw no improvement. She began to refuse to eat and had constipation issues with vomiting.

Dawn from New Port Richey, FL

Have you been to the vet? I had a cat whose entire digestive system backed up; his entire intestines and stomach were full on an x-ray. They were able to clean him out, and I stopped feeding him dry food completely, just canned, as he was'nt drinking enough water, and that seemed to straighten him out. If you have'nt been to the vet, please take your dog to a reputable vet. If they get completely blocked, they will vomit up food, and can even die.

Have you been to the vet yet? I had a cat whose entire digestive system got blocked up and backed up. He vomited up his food. It showed that his intestines and stomach were completely full on an xray, and they were able to get him cleaned out. And I changed his diet to canned food only, as he also did not drink enough water. This can kill them, so please take your pet to a vet if he is'nt better.

She is doing better. Yes, I have taken her to the vet. She has a yeast infection. The raw food diet did not agree with her system. The steroids they gave her seem to only cover it up. It keeps reacurring. I am now using the Petco product and it seems to be working well. I just wanted more info on the product and any suggestions regarding the yeast infection. Thanks all for your concerns!

Sorry if I sounded preachy. Just did'nt want others to experience what our kitty did. So glad that your pet is doing better! Hope he continues to get much better! Blessings to both of you, and hope someone sees this post that can help you!

You didn't say what breed of dog you have. Some breeds have hair in the ear that you can keep pulled out. Yeast is usually there because something else is going on with the ear. It could be allergies, moisture in ears, masses in ears, or other infections. The allergies can be food or environmental. Does the dog lick its feet often? If so, then allergies are probably the underlying cause. You can try to prevent the infections by cleaning the ears weekly with a ear cleaning solution that acidifies the canal. There are many to buy (Malacetic Otic is one brand) or make a homemade formula of half water and half white vinegar. But your vet probably suspects allergies if they put your dog on steriods. If it is allergies then you can allergy test your dog and try then allergy shots to get them used to what they are allergic too. It will be an on-going battle if you have a Cocker or Golden Retriever.

My 8 yr. old German Shepherd had been treated for ear infections for years, being prescribed mild steriod drops that helped. I finally switched completely to cleaning his ears with a couple of drops of almond oil on cotton balls and cleaning his ears every few days. He loves the softness of the cleaning compared to other products and now lets me clean deep inside. There have been no more infections. When I see his ears look a bit dark inside I do the cleaning.

He is very prone to yeast infections and I am now treating a bad one 'underneath' where he is hot and trapping moisture. We are just finishing off the antibiotics. This time I bought some tea tree oil and now am washing him then treating with a diluted mix of tea tree oil and distilled water. The final debris from the infection is clearing up and last night I saw him sit with his hips splayed open for the first time in so long. Finally, that skin is now flexible and almost pain free. City dogs seem to need more care I think.

Pets Dogs HealthDecember 28, 2007
A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears