Homemade Glass Shelves

I just recently discover a great way to make a "homemade" bookshelf, by stacking glass or plexi-glass on glass blocks. Glass blocks come in a great many styles and colors. I haven't made mine yet, but I love cobalt blue or ambers. This configuration could vary for books, knick-knacks, or perhaps a coffee table or maybe end tables. The possibilities are endless.

By Karen from WV

Not to state the obvious BUT be careful how much weight you place on the shelves. There is nothing worse than broken glass! If you use it for books the weight adds up FAST... Just pick up a kids backpack from high school & you will see :0)

Yes & I saw one of the 3 layered bookssssshelves years agg. You could put Sealer on the Blocks & let dry good. Paint the Blocks any color to go with your room, maybe an off white. or light color. Then Free Hand Paint, Stencil, or even use Decoupage with what YOU like. You have a good Idea going. p.s. Wrapping Paper / calenders cutouts

makes great Decoupage.

Good Luck.

I would suggest you talk to the people at the glass retailer about this, before doing it. If someone fell into a shelf made with ordinary glass, the result could be tragic!

There are kinds of glass available that would be safer--depending on where the shelf is to be placed, it would be worth the extra expense to be safe.

That said; I really do like the idea of the glass blocks, even with wood shelves (which would be much safer!) Ask at the home center where you would buy the block about their load-bearing capeabilities. They would be much more attractive than cinder blocks!!

I have seen this done in my neighbors garden in between cement blocks as a garden border, it was lovely. Where do they sell these glass blocks? CAT

I want to find an outlet for glass shelves that can be attached to a wall. The sizes would be 8"x56" and 8"x66. I need five of each. Where would you suggest I find these?

Crafts FurnitureJuly 6, 2006
Man putting in Corner Shelves
Building Corner Shelves
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
🎄