CatsPets

Natural Hairball Treatment

Category Cats

If my cat does not like a dab of Vaseline straight, can I mix it with a little organic cat nip? My cats love it, I have 5 babies.

What if I want to sell this mix to the public, as all of my friend's cats seem to be enjoying it, do I have to get the FDA's permission or approval?

By mdsouza

I give my cat NOW brand almond oil every morning & night. I put it in the palm of my hand & she licks it out. I don't think mineral oil or petroleum jelly is good for man or beast. I keep the oil in my bathroom 'cause it's my skin oil also. When my cat started following me to the bathroom & licked my hand I knew she liked it. So now it's an every day ritual.

the reason vaseline and mineral oil work is they don't digest and pass through the cats system, greasing the hair ball. Almond oil is organic and will digest.

Olive oil works too, and it's a natural food solution.

Put mineral oil in the food. I use 3 cups dry food and add enough mineral oil to coat it all. You can also do the same for wet food. This works every time for my 3 cats. This is my own idea. I was tired of all the hairball creams and special foods with no results.

By Connie from Pelican Rapids, MN

After Googling "mineral oil for cats" and reading many comments. I would never give mineral oil to my cats! Google, read & decide. Mineral oil, should it get into the lungs can cause irreversible problems! Blessings! (I just clean up the balls). Use wet food with dry food. Mine only throw up the extra hair.

Yes I would stay away from mineral oil, i won't even use it to put on my skin. You are better off using olive oil, or some other oil. Mineral oil is just bad.

I agree mineral oil can be a problem. It causes a fatal type of pneumonia if inhaled in the smallest amount. I love the "furminator". Makes brushing quick and takes out a ton of hair. I haven't seen a hairball in ages.

WARNING! DO NOT use mineral oil. Please read below!

Mineral oil is a light oil and because of that it can be easily inhaled into the respiratory tract where it stays. It never becomes assimilated into the body and the body can never get rid of it because of its mineral base. Instead, the immune system tries to isolate it by forming inflammatory granulomas.

Also this,

"Just having mineral oil around is a liability . If mineral oil is ingested, it will absorb (and essentially rob) vitamins from the intestinal tract  especially oil-soluble vitamins A, D and E. as well as beta-carotene, calcium, phosphorus and potassium and the blood coagulant Vitamin K. This could lead to nutritional deficiencies and other complications.

Ingested mineral oil also can impair lung function, a condition known as lipoid pneumonia (New England Journal of Medicine 1998; 339:1947-1948)."

http://www.thes  /mineraloil.html

If your cat is constipated, either a teaspoon or two of olive oil or a tablespoon(level) of canned pumpkin will help to correct this. Olive oil is a heavier oil and both canned pumpkin and olive oil are safe because they do not have a mineral or chemical base.