Sharpening Your Knife With Liquid Soap

I know this may not seem important to many people, but I like a sharp cooking knife. This probably comes from living in Japan. Almost every household has a whetstone. We tend to sharpen the knife at least once a week if not every time we use it. Usually you wet the stone with water, but the water runs off or evaporates quickly.

The solution is to use liquid soap. The knife will glide better and the soap doesn't run off the stone as quickly as the water does. The extra bonus is when you have rinsed the knife off you will have a clean knife; you will have skipped a step.

By Tim from Science Hill, KY

I'll try this! My dad was a butcher for awhile and I got used to sharp knives. He said (and my verrrry smart husband agrees) a person is more likely to get cut with a dull knife than a sharp one. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks, Tim! I'm a "retired" chef, and had never heard of this one. Also, thanks for the tip about the Instructables website- just bookmarked it! Love stuff like that. Have a great day! :)

Also instead of liquid soap I use oil. Works a charm and for the same reasons, it gives you glide :)

Hey Tim,

My husband wants to Thank You for turning me on to yet another site that keeps me entertained for hours..lol

Love it and I really like the soap on the whetstone.. who knew?

One of the best sharpeners on the market today are the ceramic ones. I remember my grandfather, sharpening his razor blades in the ceramic sink just by moving them around the bowl. We all have ceramic cups and plates in our houses, so the next time you need to "quickly hone" your knife, rub it across the bottom of the cup or plate a few times, at the appropriate angle. You should see the bottom turn dark gray, which means the knife is being sharpened as this is metal taken from the blade. To remove this discoloration, make a paste of baking soda and water and rub the bottom. This is how to clean those ceramic sharpening sticks you can by.

Chef Sharpening a Knife
Sharpening a Knife
Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsMarch 6, 2009
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Homemade Liquid Hand Soap
Homemade Liquid Hand Soap Recipes
Reel Mower Blades
Sharpening a Reel Mower
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄