How Can I Tell if I Have a Flea Problem Indoors?

I was sitting down on my couch the other day when a small bug that resembled a flea jumped on me. I caught it right away and killed it. I live on a farm and there are lots of bugs, I have not found any bugs on my animals or their beddings. Should I be worried about them infesting my house? Please help I'm really freaked out.

By Vic from Newfoundland

Put a shallow pan (like a pie tin) with about 1/2 inch of water in it under a night light in the dark. If you have fleas inside the pan next morning, you can take action.

Start on at the minimum. Clean up the house pets and their bedding. Don't allow them on your beds/couches until you rule out pet involvement. I know that will be hard. I put a cover on the couch/chair the dog is allowed on and SHE knows when the covers come off for laundry, she lays on the floor besides it.

Carpet: Clean them up by vaccuming, then if more issues, shampoo with special cleaners.

Wash your pillows. Couch cushions can be aired in the sun.

If there's one there's probably more. It doesn't take long to become an infestation. Don't waist your money on foggers or sprays, go straight to the vet, or a farm supply place and purchase a high quality flea ointment for your animals...such as 'Advantage'. This will cost you $50 to $60 dollars per package, but will kill all the fleas and eggs that hatch. I spent over $200 trying to get rid of them and nothing worked till I got this. They all die within a few hrs. after getting on your pets. Other products 'seemed' to get rid of them, but they returned a few weeks later.

You don't need pets to get fleas. They can jump on your clothing when you are outside and come in with you. They multiply quickly. It is really hard to kill them when you catch them, because they don't smash when you try to squeeze them. You can also get worms from fleas, especially if you try to squeeze them with your hands, so be sure to wash your hands thoroughly. I keep a small jar with 1-2" of vegetable oil in it. When I catch them, I drop them into the oil. When they struggle, they sink and die. I use a monthly treatment on my pets. We check ourselves immediately before entering our house. You can sprinkle borax or salt on your floors to dry them up.

Home and Garden Pest Control FleasJuly 23, 2010
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Cats
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Pets
Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
curbside trash can
Tricks to Tell When the Trash Has Been Picked Up
cat
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
🎄